Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been riding bikes most my life without a helmet and have had some really lucky wrecks, but have decided to go with a helmet(getting older and WAY smarter) plus i will be riding the most powerfull bike i have ever owned(zx12r) and i was looking at one of these skullskins helmet covers. Question is has or does anybody use them, and if so do they hold up ok and are they worth the $$?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Your nuts dude...thats all i have to say...but at least you wisend up before it was too late...good luck bro!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i dropped a bike doing lil over 60mph and walked away with just some scrathes and some wicked bruises, back tire blew out. Couple other wrecks with some road rash. But now i got a steele plate in my head from a auto wreck and figure i wanna be around awhile longer and gonna go the helmet way. Thats why i was asking about the helmet skins.

·
Registered
131 Posts
no offence dude, but in your other thread you were askin for advice on helmets in the price range of $200. Which is fine, but some of the best helmets, for fit, sound, and vision are more than $200. If you have the extra $ to buy a helmet skin, why not invest that money in a better helmet? just me .02 :headscratch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offence? of course i'm not gonna take offence man. Just looking for some advice, so a $200 helmet isnt a bright idea? I can spend up to $400 but kinda figured that was a lil expensive, whats the difference between a cheap helmet and a top shelf one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Protection wise....nothing. not a single damn thing. They all have to pass the same standards. What you pay for is comfort, air flow, weight, and design...and usually name brand. I mean I bought an HJC Osiris helmet...cost me 161.99. Helmets the shit dude. Looks good...feels great. Only reason to be paying 400 for a helmet is just so you can have Arai written on it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No offence? of course i'm not gonna take offence man. Just looking for some advice, so a $200 helmet isnt a bright idea? I can spend up to $400 but kinda figured that was a lil expensive, whats the difference between a cheap helmet and a top shelf one?
:clap

·
Registered
990 Posts
Just looking for some advice, so a $200 helmet isnt a bright idea? I can spend up to $400 but kinda figured that was a lil expensive, whats the difference between a cheap helmet and a top shelf one?
I have a HJC, can't remember what model, but it was a mid range one, feels fine, vents okay, visor easy & noise levels okay PLUS it does not lift at speed like the cheaper one I had before it. All helmets are built to a safety standard, as positivevibes86 said, mostly you are paying for lighter materials which are more expensive plus maybe removable linings & fancy graphics or replicas. If you are gonna take the bike on the track (circuit or strip) you may need to check that it will comply, not sure what the standards are in the USA but in the UK they need to be RAC/ACU approved. So yeah for $200 I would think you would get a lid to suit your needs.

HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so now i think i got a handle on what i'm goona get. Thats why i was asking in another thread about those skullskins, i wouldnt mind a good looking helmet with some nice graphics but i think i'll spend around $200 and see if those skullskins are worth the $40. When i get a helmet and the skins i will post a pic. I get my bike friday or saturday....woot woot. Thanks for the info people.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, all helmets have to meet the standards, BUT, some brands do indeed EXCEED the standards, and some just meet the standards. I have three helmets, a HJC, a Shark, and a Shoei.

If you do your research, the HJC is the lowest rated in safety out of the three, but still meets the standards, Shark is next as it slightly exceeds the standards, where as the Shoei, not only exceeds the standards, but passes the RAC/ACU standards as well (higher standards than the US DOT standards).....

Then there's fit, all three helmets "fit" me well.....but as far as comfort is concerned, they go in this order, Shark, HJC, then Shoei (the Shoei, you don't even feel on, it's that comfortable). Shark and Shoei, also have the removable lining for washing, (nice when riding in hot weather and the sweat starts to add up)....the Shark and the Shoei, both weigh the same, (the HJC is heavy, on long runs, tires the neck more than the other two)

Wind noise, the HJC is good, the Shoei is great, the Shark, not so much.....

Then there's peripheral vision (to me, one of the most important, next to meeting standards)....the HJC is good, The Shoei, is GREAT, and the Shark absolutely sucks, you literally have to turn your whole body to get in a good shoulder check.

Prices (all rounded for I'm not about to go looking for my receipts) HJC $160, Shark $250, Shoei $600

In the end, all meet the safety standards, but, in my books, I would rather spend a little more on my gear to get stuff that exceeds the standards and have comfort so I can enjoy my ride and focus more on the rode than ill fitting gear. But, that's just me, you will make your own decision. ;)

Oh, and why do I have 3 helmets, well, my HJC lasted only 2 seasons before the seal went around the visor, and it was pretty heavy, so I bought the Shark, the peripheral vision REALLY bothered me, so I finally stepped up and bought a Shoei, for before that, I too did not want to spend allot on a helmet, thought it was "all the name" you were paying for.....I was wrong. The Shoei is by far THE best helmet out of the three, in ALL categories, I will never buy a cheaper helmet again. I guess that's why all those riders you hear preaching about the higher end helmets preach, the helmets are that good.

·
Registered
368 Posts
:mfclap
Yes, all helmets have to meet the standards, BUT, some brands do indeed EXCEED the standards, and some just meet the standards. I have three helmets, a HJC, a Shark, and a Shoei.

If you do your research, the HJC is the lowest rated in safety out of the three, but still meets the standards, Shark is next as it slightly exceeds the standards, where as the Shoei, not only exceeds the standards, but passes the RAC/ACU standards as well (higher standards than the US DOT standards).....

Then there's fit, all three helmets "fit" me well.....but as far as comfort is concerned, they go in this order, Shark, HJC, then Shoei (the Shoei, you don't even feel on, it's that comfortable). Shark and Shoei, also have the removable lining for washing, (nice when riding in hot weather and the sweat starts to add up)....the Shark and the Shoei, both weigh the same, (the HJC is heavy, on long runs, tires the neck more than the other two)

Wind noise, the HJC is good, the Shoei is great, the Shark, not so much.....

Then there's peripheral vision (to me, one of the most important, next to meeting standards)....the HJC is good, The Shoei, is GREAT, and the Shark absolutely sucks, you literally have to turn your whole body to get in a good shoulder check.

Prices (all rounded for I'm not about to go looking for my receipts) HJC $160, Shark $250, Shoei $600

In the end, all meet the safety standards, but, in my books, I would rather spend a little more on my gear to get stuff that exceeds the standards and have comfort so I can enjoy my ride and focus more on the rode than ill fitting gear. But, that's just me, you will make your own decision. ;)

Oh, and why do I have 3 helmets, well, my HJC lasted only 2 seasons before the seal went around the visor, and it was pretty heavy, so I bought the Shark, the peripheral vision REALLY bothered me, so I finally stepped up and bought a Shoei, for before that, I too did not want to spend allot on a helmet, thought it was "all the name" you were paying for.....I was wrong. The Shoei is by far THE best helmet out of the three, in ALL categories, I will never buy a cheaper helmet again. I guess that's why all those riders you hear preaching about the higher end helmets preach, the helmets are that good.
Excellent Information! I too have ridden with cheaper helmets. You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
so I finally stepped up and bought a Shoei, for before that, I too did not want to spend allot on a helmet, thought it was "all the name" you were paying for.....I was wrong. The Shoei is by far THE best helmet out of the three, in ALL categories, I will never buy a cheaper helmet again. I guess that's why all those riders you hear preaching about the higher end helmets preach, the helmets are that good.
same here :mfclap the Shoei rocks, not sure how much mine cost :headscratch about $1000.00 AU just over or under...... purchased some visors, bag for helmet and some liners/pads at the same time.
Never going cheap again:rolleyes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought a THH for $100 fits great seems lite and is dot and snell approved. Couldnt bring myself to spend 400 500 on a helmet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts