Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, my friend has a 1990 ZX7-H2 and his waterpump is leaking both externaly from the weep hole and into the engine oil. Apparently the 89 and 90's have a unique pump that is no longer available from the local dealer,bike bandit and some other places he checked. Any advise on where to look for a new one ? Rebuilding the old one?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul, I fowarded them to him. Poway says they can rebuild them by machining the area to accept a larger seal for $400.00 ouch.(I guess the seals are unobtanium also)
It's hard for me to understand how a waterpump can cause an otherwise mint bike to to be a candidate for parting out ?????

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Is the entire water pump shot or is it just the seals (O rings)?

Have your friend drain the anti freeze and then pull off the water pump cover. Then have him start it up. If the pump is good, he should be able to see the impeller in the pump moving freely (obviously don't run it empty for too long).

If that looks good and there's no noise coming from the impeller then I would simply try replacing the seals.

BTW... the 1989 ZX-7-H1 has the same water pump as the 1990-zx7-H2 (49044), so he can expand his search for a used off of an 89 model as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update on the pump. Had it rebuilt at Poway Cycles. Joe's correct, they had to machine it for a different mechanical seal since these are really not meant to be rebuilt. They shipped it back with new external seal, orings and cover seal.Turned nice and more importantly works as new.Bill at Poway kept me updated on the progress, and Bud took less time than quoted to get it done. Thankfull they could do it, otherwise a mint bike would have been nothing more than a showpiece.Bikes all set for the friggin snow now.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on the pump. Had it rebuilt at Poway Cycles. Joe's correct, they had to machine it for a different mechanical seal since these are really not meant to be rebuilt. They shipped it back with new external seal, orings and cover seal.Turned nice and more importantly works as new.Bill at Poway kept me updated on the progress, and Bud took less time than quoted to get it done. Thankfull they could do it, otherwise a mint bike would have been nothing more than a showpiece.Bikes all set for the friggin snow now.
After seeing the finished product, and realizing that machine shop labor is probably at $100hr,it was a fair price to pay....a lot of $$$$....but fair.
Keep in mind Ron, those 2ct's that I highly recommended have 2 compounds.......neither compound works in the snow. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very funny Joe,LOL. I'll just have to settle for staring at it in the garage with a glass of Makers Mark and reflect on all the "fun" I've had putting it back to street form. oh yeah, what fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts