Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
i was at bike night in san diego and some guy had a green zx6 with dual HID's on it, looked so nice but its a real quick way to get pulled over, their ridiculously bright!

·
Registered
7 Posts
:eek:hno I have a fairly new 6 week old green ZX-6R and I have HID bulbs,

Im not really satisified with what I got, though they are SOO much better than stock bulbs...

I have the standard HID bulbs, I am working on replacing them with BiXenon bulbs, I have parts but not all the parts yet.

I dont have cop problems unless I have the high beam on when I shouldnt.

·
Registered
165 Posts
im a lil lost on this
wht the hell is a HID conversion?
do i hav 2 get tht
or can i jus buy the bulb and put thm on my bike

also wht would go on an 03 zx 6R?
i think i read H9 or H7 somewhere
for got tho where

·
Registered
25 Posts
HID = High-intensity discharge

There's two different kind of HID bulbs out there. One where you just change out the bulb (with blue tint) or you do the full kit which comes with bulb and ballast (3 to 4 times brighter).

Price different:
bulb (With blue tint) Around $40+
Full HID Kit Around $160+

im a lil lost on this
wht the hell is a HID conversion?
do i hav 2 get tht
or can i jus buy the bulb and put thm on my bike

also wht would go on an 03 zx 6R?
i think i read H9 or H7 somewhere
for got tho where

·
Registered
165 Posts
LOL i kno wht HID was
jus a lil confused at the conversion thing
thnks now i kno

would u happen 2 kno wht an 03 zx 6r will take the bulb?

There's two different kind of HID bulbs out there. One where you just change out the bulb (with blue tint) or you do the full kit which comes with bulb and ballast (3 to 4 times brighter).

Price different:
bulb (With blue tint) Around $40+
Full HID Kit Around $160+

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thats not entirely correct, HID is NOT HID without the ballast, HID bulbs run at a HIGH voltage, and start at an even HIGHER voltage, you must have a ballast. any $40 HID bulb would be the bulb that still needs the ballast, your motorcycle/car/plane/flashlight would already have to have this ballast, some do.... those bulbs often stocked at car places as alternatives to HID are just blue lights, sometimes more efficent but really blue is a bad color, it just looks better.

the HID conversion kit is actually a package with things in it, depending on exactly which kit you get, you might get 1 bulb, 1 ballast, 1 wire harness and 1 package of items frequently desired to hold everything down (metal bracket for ballast, zip ties, double sided stickum, and electrical tape came in one of mine) other packages come with more than 1 of everything.

I bought a 35w per bulb system, its nice, but ideally id like brighter, while I like a nice looking motorcycle, I really prefere to ride than look at it, so useability is important to me. and I made the mistake of buying 8k bulbs, they LOOK awesome, but they are not as bright as 6k bulbs. I plan on leaving monday for a 2 week adventure, and before the trip I will have replaced the HIGH beam with a 50w 6k version, If I like that ill keep it, if not ill be going to BiXeon bulbs, these are the same bulbs, with some mechanical items to change them from HI/LOW on the throttle side Ill go with one that physically angles the bulb from horizontal to 35~45degrees downwards making it a "HIGH" beam, (for those that dont know at least the 07 ZX-6R has a reflector in the light which creates the "LOW" beam) on the clutch side(the side normally marked as "HIGH" which is missing this reflector) Ill be going with a different setup that uses a metal bracket, moved in place the bulb is a "LOW" and moved away its a "HIGH"

Another style HID bulb that I see in cars has a normal Xenon bulb for "HIGH" and a HID bulb for low, I am not sure what would be the cost of using this on a motorcycle esp one with 2 headlights to begin with, I might put one on my EX-500 .... but its an EX-500 with a LOT of miles on it, the bulb might be worth more than the bike.

hope that helps someone

either way keep it fun

·
Registered
191 Posts
ok, for starters how much does the average conversion kit cost AND does ANYONE have any pics of HID bulbs on the 07????

·
Registered
317 Posts
i just wish both the headlights turn on rather than just one, looks sooo OFF.
someone please do a conversion so i can follow it. hhehehe.

I'm tempted to buy the Digital HIDs but...*sigh*

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea, that's very true.....but u know....alot of people get confuse about ebay bulbs....they all put HID Bulbs as in just the bulbs...so i wanted to make it clear with the price different. But yes you are right.
Thats not entirely correct, HID is NOT HID without the ballast, HID bulbs run at a HIGH voltage, and start at an even HIGHER voltage, you must have a ballast. any $40 HID bulb would be the bulb that still needs the ballast, your motorcycle/car/plane/flashlight would already have to have this ballast, some do.... those bulbs often stocked at car places as alternatives to HID are just blue lights, sometimes more efficent but really blue is a bad color, it just looks better.

the HID conversion kit is actually a package with things in it, depending on exactly which kit you get, you might get 1 bulb, 1 ballast, 1 wire harness and 1 package of items frequently desired to hold everything down (metal bracket for ballast, zip ties, double sided stickum, and electrical tape came in one of mine) other packages come with more than 1 of everything.

I bought a 35w per bulb system, its nice, but ideally id like brighter, while I like a nice looking motorcycle, I really prefere to ride than look at it, so useability is important to me. and I made the mistake of buying 8k bulbs, they LOOK awesome, but they are not as bright as 6k bulbs. I plan on leaving monday for a 2 week adventure, and before the trip I will have replaced the HIGH beam with a 50w 6k version, If I like that ill keep it, if not ill be going to BiXeon bulbs, these are the same bulbs, with some mechanical items to change them from HI/LOW on the throttle side Ill go with one that physically angles the bulb from horizontal to 35~45degrees downwards making it a "HIGH" beam, (for those that dont know at least the 07 ZX-6R has a reflector in the light which creates the "LOW" beam) on the clutch side(the side normally marked as "HIGH" which is missing this reflector) Ill be going with a different setup that uses a metal bracket, moved in place the bulb is a "LOW" and moved away its a "HIGH"

Another style HID bulb that I see in cars has a normal Xenon bulb for "HIGH" and a HID bulb for low, I am not sure what would be the cost of using this on a motorcycle esp one with 2 headlights to begin with, I might put one on my EX-500 .... but its an EX-500 with a LOT of miles on it, the bulb might be worth more than the bike.

hope that helps someone

either way keep it fun

·
Registered
80 Posts
:eek:hno I have a fairly new 6 week old green ZX-6R and I have HID bulbs,

Im not really satisified with what I got, though they are SOO much better than stock bulbs...

I have the standard HID bulbs, I am working on replacing them with BiXenon bulbs, I have parts but not all the parts yet.

I dont have cop problems unless I have the high beam on when I shouldnt.

was that you @ bike night 2 or 3 weeks ago ??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts