Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I successfully performed a 2mm overbore on a ZG1000 Concours using ZX11 pistons and ZX10 rods. Now have zeroed in on a ZX10 Tomcat (88-90) head for my next project, a 1989 ZX10. This head is different from the 1st gen GPz900/ZG1000. What I need to know is are the head gaskets and block the same pattern as a ZX11? I had to grind 2mm off a factory head gasket for the ZG mod. I have three ZX11 pistons and would like to overbore this mill. They're all 58mm stroke so I suppose the ZG crank is identical?

Pic of ZG1000 project
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive engine gasket

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow now I'm really confused. While surfing eBay I kept noticing the shaft drive ZG1000 Concours engine cases are listed as interchangeable with ZX1000B. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,594 Posts
Wow now I'm really confused. While surfing eBay I kept noticing the shaft drive ZG1000 Concours engine cases are listed as interchangeable with ZX1000B. Can anyone confirm?
That would be interesting. A shaft driven zx10 tomcat. It would be one-of-a-kind if you were able to swap it

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be interesting. A shaft driven zx10 tomcat. It would be one-of-a-kind if you were able to swap it
Oh no I don't want to do that lol I have a nice set of ZX11 wheels! But what may be advantageous is IF the cases are identical then the ZX trans, sprocket and cover should be all it needs to drive the bike. I found a Connie engine with low compression in one cyl for $350 shipped. Anyways going to research this some more.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Oh no I don't want to do that lol I have a nice set of ZX11 wheels! But what may be advantageous is IF the cases are identical then the ZX trans, sprocket and cover should be all it needs to drive the bike. I found a Connie engine with low compression in one cyl for $350 shipped. Anyways going to research this some more.
Aw man. I'd still think it'd be cool to see one. I wonder what the top speed would be.

Re-read your comment. Now I'm questioning if there was a chain driven Connie

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Aw man. I'd still think it'd be cool to see one. I wonder what the top speed would be.

Re-read your comment. Now I'm questioning if there was a chain driven Connie
I think the same cases were used but with a bevel output box for the Connie. Kawasaki took a page out of GM's small block Chevy commonality book, the same basic engine architecture was used with modifications in the GPz900, Eliminator, Concours, ZX10s, and ZX11, ZRX1100 and 1200 from the 80's into the 2000's.
Edit: I assume the EX500 was 1/2 a ZX10 and the EX250 1/4.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Got the answer, moving forward with a ZX10 head on ZRX1100 block and pistons.
fwiw I found a cheap ZX11 gasket set on ebay for others who may be interested.
Are there any mods involved with the head gasket? Which head gasket are you using?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there any mods involved with the head gasket? Which head gasket are you using?
I now believe the gaskets for the 10 and 11 are identical except for 2 mm larger bore on the 11.
What I'm going for is mid-range on this street fighter so the 36 mm carbs and intake ports on the ZX10 head vs ZX11 40 mm carbs combined with the ZX11 bore will have very high intake velocity and vacuum signalling to the carbs. There is no ram air on my bike so the combination is more suited.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the head and cylinder block orders got here. They fit! Everything looks good too, the crank and rods from one order, the 11 block with pistons and the 10 head. If the ZG1000 cases don't need boring for the 11 block I might be able to skip the machine shop (Connie cases are same as 88-90 ZX10).

All this might seem a lot of work considering the antiquity of these engines but it keeps me busy and still fast enough for me.
Gas Kitchen utensil Automotive exterior Composite material Automotive wheel system

1 - 10 of 10 Posts