Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to change my ST1100 for a more modern tourer for my European tour next year. I was waiting for the new pan to come out but now I cannot wait.
I am really impressed on the Dealers argument that changing to a GTR 1400 would make my 5 week tour more of a pleasure? So much gadgets !!!
However on general checking the internet, I 've been disappointed with some of the Bikes problems such a it's vibration, rear drive bearing seizing, front brake discs wearing out etc.
Are these just isolated problems which can happen or something more sinister with this bike, there seems a lot of these bike for sale (09 models) just out of warranty.
Can anyone give a good report --which I really need to balance up the negatives

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gtr 1400

Hi, I'm looking to change my ST1100 for a more modern tourer for my European tour next year. I was waiting for the new pan to come out but now I cannot wait.
I am really impressed on the Dealers argument that changing to a GTR 1400 would make my 5 week tour more of a pleasure? So much gadgets !!!
However on general checking the internet, I 've been disappointed with some of the Bikes problems such a it's vibration, rear drive bearing seizing, front brake discs wearing out etc.
Are these just isolated problems which can happen or something more sinister with this bike, there seems a lot of these bike for sale (09 models) just out of warranty.
Can anyone give a good report --which I really need to balance up the negatives
I have a 2009 GTR and quite simply the best bike I have ever owned and I should know I have had 13 bikes in the last twelve years no faults whatsoever with the GTR.:clap:clap:clap

PM me and we can chat on the phone and I will give you my full opinion and my thoughts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've ridden a ST1300 and Love the comfort of the seat. It also has great torque from the V engine design. I have a Connie and have put as many as 1400 miles in 19hrs. After about 2hrs my tailbone hurts. I've used both the stock seat and a ZX1400 seat. In my opinion, unless you buy a 1000.00+ custom seat, you will never have the comfort of your ST. Just my opinion and I have over 45,000 miles on mine. Won't sell it because I paid cash for it and don't like financing things so I just suffer through it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I must Admit the St1100 is very comfortable for both myself and my good lady, just the bike is getting dated. The gtr 1400 is going to be used for long distance travel so comfort is a main consideration.
I believe you can get a gel seat for the GTR ! and if you have 45000 under your belt with no other problems, seems a good advert for the bike. I'm like you and will pay cash so your opinion is respected

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check my post on FI Error. Could be a fluke on my bike, but PITA anyway you look at it. Also have had to replace the TPS for front and back tire at least 3 times now. Out of warranty they are very pricey.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have 8,000 miles on my '08 and feel it is a very good model. However, the stock seat was uncomfortable for me although this appears to be something that really depends on the individual. Anyway, I installed an unheated Corbin (there is a heated version too) and this gives me all-day comfort. Be aware that Corbin is a firm seat - for me its comfortable. I had the luxury of riding to a Corbin retail store in Florida to test it before buying.

Secondly, I'm 6'4" (1.93m) and the stock windscren was too short for long-diastance protection. In '10 Kwak made the former optional tall screen (for '08-'09 years) the stock screen. However, some people still find the screen too short. I installed a Cee Bailey Euro Cut screen and problem was solved.

The problem with front discs warping seems to be associated to early fist year models. In the U.S. that would be '08, but I think that in Europe the model was introduced as an '07.

I can't address the rear bearing issue, but I never had this problem.

I short, the GTR1400 (called Concours 14 in the U.S.) is comfortable, stable, handles well for its size, and has plenty of power. It is no mistake that it has won so many group sport tourer reviews.

Another thing is that some people like to ride more upright. In which case there are risers available from a variety of assessory companies:

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=466

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=86

http://www.helibars.com/products-by-bike/kawasaki

http://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=1516

Lastly, I have never had any problem with vibration, although evidently there are some who have. I can't explain why as my bike is very smooth.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i wouldnt buy anything older then 2010 cause the traction control and fuel modes and bigger screen heated grips everything standart. mirrors located ver well and heat been dispute very well why would you get a 2009 while you can get a 2010 model with all the extras ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Other than the mirror relocation I wouldn't miss the traction control or fuel modes on my '08. Traction control is built into my right hand. What kind of fuel mileage increase does the fuel modes net you? My '08 gets about 35mpg at 75mph.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
Very few of the above answers ere realy to the point of what you are asking I guess. The Gtr is a fantastic machine, breathtaking accelerations . Superb handling. Suspension and brakes are state of the art. Very comfortable. Excellent luggage capacity. Models after 2010 have various improvements. Now the negatives: the maintenance is very costly. The brakes do wear out too early and the discs are warping. The engine dies produce vibrations wich become anoying over time. The warranty policy from Kawa is not customer friendly and when it comes to brake problems you are left to your own.
Grtz

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
MileMuncher & patrickawa this thread is over two years old.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello 'colleague',

I also had for long time a lovely ST1100, a wonderfull bike.

But the 1400GTR is much much better than the newer Pans, I explain

Pro:
Computer: a lot of information for a bike.
Engine: very soft and almost female sensual < 4000 RPM, a male beast above 4000 RPM.
Driving: KTRC saved my bike twice already. Very sensistive system (over oil, when turning sharp, mud).
ABS: I always change to the other modus on the display (front brakes only react when pumping the brake pedal deeper). I think this changes the wearing of the breaking pads. When coming from your ST1100 probably you are also mostly braking with your right foot, and THEN the front brake ONLY works on the right side in automatic cooperation. When you change the system like I do, and use the front brake when braking harder, the braking pads do 'wear' normal! The reseller did not know this (RTFM = Read The Fucking Manual).
Luggage system
Key pad system: no key needed. However it is strange using the key know to open the luggage. There is a key apart for the big topcase, so there you do not have this problem.
Small maintenance on intervals 12000 km (winner!!!) is not expensive. Big maintenance IS expensiver than they told in advance because it takes a lot of work to change the ignition plugs (hope I use the correct English words). Sorry, this is minus.
Driving: The front wheel is a little bit heavier with BT021 (standard?), but this problem gets away with the BT023 the first 8000 km (my tyres go up to 18.000 km thanks to traction control and a lot of highway trafic). But the heavier stearing makes you can ride without even steering (hands lose) and I find this surely a plus point (I am a strong man and want to feel the thing turning when I push it to do so).
Best acceleration you will ever find, even the Hayabusa feels almost the same but KTRC makes you will never have a spinning back wheel (you have to put it of, to make wheelies).
Action radius: in ECO modus, I always drive further than on my pan that had the largest tank! Except in Germany where you get its standard top speed of 240 km/h easily, while turning low in RPM
4000 RPM = 140 km/h (120 accepted, but 130 is getting a big fine, this last sounds strange to us: "a big fine" is not fine?)
In rain: my trousers do not get wet.
Good windshield and setting automatically when igniting (stands 0 = not to 4 = maximum, I use 3).
12 volt plug in front.
Good security system with keypass (have an extra alarm and gps-sensors on it placed afterwards also).
Battery can stand a lot.
Brake pads: all bikes have sometimes to change their brake pads. Only changed it one front and back in 35000 km!!!! Best motor ever to brake with 'motor RPM'. Because its a 1400, you can switch back to 2nd or 1st to almost stop without using brakes. Is getting a little bit less when getting older (runs smoother).
NO vibration had ever.
Now my right hand is starting to 'fall asleep' (sensing problem), but that is because I am getting older (50 years), because I had it also on BMW tests now.

Contra:
It really takes some 2000 km to get used to the Kawa. Especially mirrors (very very good!) and the change of gravitypoint.

Turning over the road is more complex with the Kawa. A pan ST100 is the best to use for standing still without raising your feeth and to turn 180 degrees. Not so with the Kawa 1400GTR. There you have to learn and to dear to look NOT to the ground again, and dare to accelerate when falling down. It is a very heavy machine (especially with all my materials in the top box that sets the gravity 'point' even higher). But I have double of luggage in the 1400GTR!
Replacing ignition plugs take a lot of disassembling time.
People do NOT look to you as the do when driving on the first HD V-Rod (see http://logocom.be/moto.jpg and http://logocom.be/moto1.jpg.

But it is very, very, very comfortable, strong, safe, fast when you needed and my buddy and also the test said there is NO BETTER MOTORBIKE for a duo than the 1400GTR.

(I disagree: the Gold Wing is the best when getting really old and will probably be my last bike when having grandchildren, because my son once almost fell asleep when traveling to London and after I took the Chunnel from France to England; it seems it was to comfortly while freezing minus 5 degrees when we departed!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi just bought a 09 model.16000 miles on.same as u got it to go touring next year.had no probs yet. really smooth bike. very quick.disc can wear depands how other people ride them. bearings can go anytime .as for vibration mine is doing that at moment but iam puting it down to tyre wear and need rebalancing.doesent vibe till i go over 100.smooth till then .if it vibe all time then there would be something wrong,just at fast speed.hope this helps,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts