Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just wonder wich is the GTR 1400's top speed on the counter. Well, I know a bike is not just about top speed, but I'm very curious. Any of the GTR owners has already test it?

The top speed is reached in 5th? Or is better to shift 6th and "wait".

Regards,

·
Registered
68 Posts
I read somewhere (forgot where exactly...) vmax 270kmh.
Dunno real or on the speedo...
I guess in 5th, since 6th is a real overdrive?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Johnnyb,

That sounds about right. I figured from the 2Brothers dyno reading that 170 mph would be top speed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is really fast for a sport tourer. It's at least 13 mph faster than my FJR was. I'll try it when I get my GPS onboard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Two Brothers is a reputable exhaust maker, and their stock readings for the bikes that have dyno run numbers on their website look to be in line with what is known about the bikes. Even if an exhaust manufacturer were to fudge numbers, they would report lower stock numbers for the bikes, so that they could report larger gains for their pipes. I have confidence that the number reported for the C-14 is realistic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's what Bike magazine came up with too.

WHAT bike magazines? The only top speed I've seen was Psycho Ward (Cycle World). They reported 160 mph. I've not seen ANY mag report higher.

Are we talking about two different things? Actual top speed vs dyno speed? Because the only real top speed I've seen was 160 from CW.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Aerodynamic drag (actually, parasitic drag) increases as speed increases and the hp requirement exponentially increases. So you both may be correct. On the dyno it may run 178, but out in the wind it may only be capable of 160. :scared We should set a time and date and have every C14 owner go out and run WFO at the same time and report back to this forum ! :clap

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's right. My ZRX will spin the dyno drum at 185 but will do nothing like that on the road because of drag coefficient.

I am up for it as soon as I get my C14. I wonder...on a bike like the Concours...how long would it take to reach terminal velocity.

I know on my ZRX1200 (mostly stock) I can drop the hammer on the turnpike at 80 mph and bury the needle (170 indicated) in about 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Of course GPS says I'm only doing 163 mph...but that's a naked bike....no real fairing. And that's all she'll do no matter how long ya stay with it.

The C14 might roll that fast but it seems it would take much longer for the big 1400 cc powerplant to overcome wind resistance.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I ran mine up to 143 mph on the GPS this weekend. Believe me when I say this, it didn't take long to get there either. :scared This was with the hard bags on. I momentarily ducked my head behind the windscreen and it started to wobble a bit, so I picked my head back up. I had the windscreen up about 1/3 of the way. The long straight I was on disappeared very quickly at that speed. From what I remember, I was at about 9k rpms in 5th gear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On the C14 ...if you were spinning the motor at 9000 rpm in 5th gear the bike was going 169 mph.

This is a simple calculation using a standardized gear reduction equation. It's not exact but it's within 2% accuracy.

The fdr in 5th gear is 4.09. Using a tire diameter of roughly 26 inches the C14 will do close to 170 at 9000 rpm in 5th.

I'm just not sure 135 hp at the rear wheel is enough juice to push that big fairing through the air that fast. Cycle Wolrd (Psycho Ward :lol ) reported a top speed of 160 mph. But I am betting they did that in 6th. If true...then the bike would likely go faster in 5th and in overdrive.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Psycho Ward didn't even try to top the bike in 5th gear.

Here's the equation for those of us inclined to resort to slide rules and calculators! ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
135hp is accurate, Mine was dynoed on Saturday... he did the testing in 5th gear doing 2000rpm to rev-limiter at 10,500 WOT runs. Top speed in that gear on the dyno indicated 169mph. Of course there is no wind resistance against the bike or ram air helping the fuel injection.

Jerry

·
Registered
215 Posts
So....

So with a turbo fitted and runnning even 10lbs boost it should run red line in 6th at what speed?:tard

·
Registered
90 Posts
On the C14 ...if you were spinning the motor at 9000 rpm in 5th gear the bike was going 169 mph.

This is a simple calculation using a standardized gear reduction equation. It's not exact but it's within 2% accuracy.

The fdr in 5th gear is 4.09. Using a tire diameter of roughly 26 inches the C14 will do close to 170 at 9000 rpm in 5th.

I'm just not sure 135 hp at the rear wheel is enough juice to push that big fairing through the air that fast. Cycle Wolrd (Psycho Ward :lol ) reported a top speed of 160 mph. But I am betting they did that in 6th. If true...then the bike would likely go faster in 5th and in overdrive.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Psycho Ward didn't even try to top the bike in 5th gear.

Here's the equation for those of us inclined to resort to slide rules and calculators! ;)

:headscratch The heck with the equation, I'll just do some more real world testing. :crazyloco :rotflmao

:smile

·
Registered
19 Posts
So with a turbo fitted and runnning even 10lbs boost it should run red line in 6th at what speed?:tard
Technically...at 10,500 rpm with a 26 inch rear tire and an FDR of 3.402...the bike would be doing 238 miles per hour.

But this would be impossible because of the ratio of aerodynamic drag to horsepower.

I doubt even with a turbo the bike would would make enough power attain redline in 6th. Speed is a function of aerodynamics AND power. And the power in this relationship must be increased exponentially to significantly increase speed. But for argument sake...if it could actually get there...YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO BE ON IT.:scared :evil

·
Registered
184 Posts
Shoot! She looks like she's going 238 sitting in the driveway!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts