Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any new owners of the GTR 14 , What are your thoughts on the rear brake ?
On my bike , it is a realy hard pedal , and would say that the braking is not as good as i expected for ABS . What are your thoughts ?

Cheers Holma ..

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find it fine , only use it for parking lot speeds and mid corner control.Having come from Super sports bikes I really only use the front brake and it is has way better feel than the 02 gsxr1000 I had and I have not even tried to see how the ABS is. The better feel and power I feel comes from the fact that the ABS model is running braided lines.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Today I testdrove a GTR together with a friend. After his turn he immediately said that the rear brake did next to nothing. I hadn't noticed because I hadn't used the thing and hardly ever do. Maybe it should be broken in too?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I found mine to be smooth, yet not really strong. I haven't stomped on it to test the ABS, but I find it sufficient for trail braking (scrubbing off speed late into the corner) and using it in conjunction with the front. I agree with Biggy that coming from a sport bike background, it's just fine. I generally only use the front brake and downshift for engine braking. You certainly don't want the rear to lock up in a hard turn. The ABS warnings do mention that in any condition other than straight up, forward, hard braking, the ABS has the potential to lock up the same as any other non-ABS brake.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I dont have the ABS model, buy still cannot seem to lock up the rear wheel. Would be knid of hard to do a controlled skid in a safety class. I think I will tighten it up some.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The rear on mine plenty of push to work and that's how I like it. It's on the sport bike side. Once you get used to the feel (and its broken in), you'll like it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Today I testdrove a GTR together with a friend. After his turn he immediately said that the rear brake did next to nothing. I hadn't noticed because I hadn't used the thing and hardly ever do. Maybe it should be broken in too?
What were your impressions of the bike after all your ST1300 time? Nobody I've seen has done any sort of an objective comparison yet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I dont have the ABS model, buy still cannot seem to lock up the rear wheel. Would be knid of hard to do a controlled skid in a safety class. I think I will tighten it up some.
I don't know what "safety class" you're referring to, but the MSF course specifically briefs its student to not "lock it up" for a "controlled skid". During the "Panic Stop" course of instruction, the MSF instructors should instruct you to stop as quickly as possible at the indicated spot using both front and rear brakes without locking up the tires.

:tard

·
Registered
68 Posts
What were your impressions of the bike after all your ST1300 time? Nobody I've seen has done any sort of an objective comparison yet.
The GTR is much more sportier. Better suspension, better handling, more power. You loose a bit of comfort (low screen), but that wouldn't be a big problem for me. The (lack of) power of the GTR below 5000rpm was a bit disappointing though. Even the ST has more...
Still I can see the GTR as a good follow up for the ST. Before the ST I had a ZX-12R and the GTR seems to be a perfect compromise between the ZX and the ST.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[...]The (lack of) power of the GTR below 5000rpm was a bit disappointing though. Even the ST has more...[...]
Really?? :scared

Is everyone noticing this empty of power below 5krpm? The VVT should provide just the contrary effect, should'n it? :runaway

·
Registered
53 Posts
I rode an FJR1300 for 5 years. It has more power down low than the ST, but not as much as the Connie. If you are comparing top gears, I can see where one might mistake the Concours' tremencously high 6th gear gearing for a lack of oomph, but that is not what high gear is about on the Kawi. just try the lower gears (BAG).

·
Registered
215 Posts
a pipe and better air cleaner makes all the difference. Never use my rear brake except for tight U turns. Front work as good as my zx14.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Brake

Never use rear brake except for tight U turns. The front work as well as my zx14. It is a little soft though, the rear compared to my zx14 but then my zx14 does not have ABS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use the rear brake all the time, trail braking, adjusting speed mid corner, and general stopping. That comes from being a flat tracker. Anyway I tested locking up my rear wheel this morning and it easily locked up. I have a non ABS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I rode an FJR1300 for 5 years. It has more power down low than the ST, but not as much as the Connie. If you are comparing top gears, I can see where one might mistake the Concours' tremencously high 6th gear gearing for a lack of oomph, but that is not what high gear is about on the Kawi. just try the lower gears (BAG).
If you look at the numbers from eg Two Brothers you're right:

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Dyno_Charts/Hon_ST1300_SO_Dyno.pdf

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Dyno_Charts/dyno_2008_kawa_concours.pdf

My seat of the pants dyno told differently :eek:hno

1 - 15 of 15 Posts