Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my 84 ZX900 A1:

Drove 25 miles home, what a blast! Will need some repairs, naturally.
Ordered a paper service manual, but would like to source a digital copy too.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... Bike is lucky it didn't go to a butcher.
Bought from unfortunate owner who experienced oil leak from busted crankcase; surprised the entire bottom didn't blow out.
Tough to see in picture, but bolt or dowel pin floated around until it wedged between the gear on the
balancer assembly and the lower crankcase. The gear held firm, but the case gave way.
Still looking for the offending bolt or dowel pin, maybe came out with oil change?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,470 Posts
Can't tell from the picture. Does it need a new case?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't tell from the picture. Does it need a new case?
Yes, yes it does. Suppose I could challenge my welder friend, but the crack runs through the threads for one of the external oil lines,
so by the time he fixes it, probably cost a fortune. Already bought used cases, in transit. Probably need other stuff, connecting rods, pistons, etc.

Odometer reads 16,666, but all the numbers are skewed towards 26,666, so I suspect neither number is correct.
I'd guess 45,000 by the wear and tear in engine, including piston pins stuck on the connecting rods.

Would like to buy entire good running engine (cue the laughter!) but I'm probably
10-15 years too late to find any good engines, so I might as well rebuild this one, eh?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found a piece of alternator tensioner broken off, common failure.
It looked okay on disassembly, but I'll double-check. I don't yet understand
the operation of that tensioner, but is the Tensioner Tamer worth it?

Here's the odometer, hokey eh?

I would be tempted to buy another engine, and rebuild that one, but if high mileage it would probably have similar problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts