Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I may suggest a product that I have been using for years on all sorts of bikes... "Captain Richard's Best"... It comes with the solution, a large cleaning cloth, and micro fiber towel. It's really awesome for spot cleaning and cleaning right after the ride. I usually cut a smaller part from the cleaining cloth to use. Just soak the cleaning cloth in hot water and rinse out, shake the cleaning solution up and spray a good amount on the cloth, wipe the dirty areas and immediately buff with the micro fiber. After a time or two the bugs are really easy to get off and road tar/grime comes off easy too. For the really tough stuff I'll use some spray polish I got from Honda. I use it after every ride and a 32oz bottle usually lasts more than one season. Cheers

·
Premium Member
13,119 Posts
I haven't spent that much on bike cleaning products in ten years. Here's a bout a year's supply of what I use:

Of course, there's rags and paper towels used and the occasional trip to the car wash, but all that other stuff is a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Lots of things wrong with that article.

But not a horrible place to start I guess. If you really want to detail a bike, pull the body work off. A pressure washer with the right degreaser is almost required to get the engine clean, but you must take care to keep it from the electronics.

Starting at the bottom and working up? Please tell me how that makes sense. You will wipe grime loose, which will fall into other cracks and crevices that you are "done with" and will miss. Top to bottom when cleaning anything ever.

Since I don't have a show bike, I give mine a good once over a couple times a year, and the rest of the time it gets the manual car wash treatment for a couple bucks. Applications of wax every month or two on top of that, and it shouldn't be a significant issue.

People spend a lot of time on cleaning the stuff you can see, then ignore everything you cant. The road grime that builds up on the engine. The shit that puddles up on top of the motor, deep inside where you can't see it. Stuff that accumulates on the steel (ie; rustable) bits and just sits there, never being cleaned off. That is more important.

Clean all the grub and grime off first, then worry about the plastics.

·
Registered
182 Posts
WD40. Done.

No joke! lol. learned this from my friend who races dirt bikes and works at a shop down here in Tx. He swears by it. i will say though you have to be careful where you put it and how much. Wd40 attracts dirt, dust etc. My buddy wil spray his entire cr450 down with Wd40, then wash the bike, thes wiped the entire thing down with it again lol. I keep it off the paint but its the only way ive ever been able to get my flat black wheels to shine.

·
Registered
13,362 Posts
I use it on just about everything down there. Wheels, plastics, brakes, swingarm, chain, sprocket, hugger, spring and damper. Works better than any cleaner or polish I've ever used on all of it. But yeah, the chain in particular I do wipe the heck out of after.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts