Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post here, asked motorbike garages near me and they didn't have a clue..

Bike is a 1986 gpz900r

I originally had a leaky oil drain bolt, thread on the oil pan had worn causing the bolt to spin, causing oil to leak.

I swapped the sump for a new one (second hand, better condition), and everything went on as it should.

Upon starting the bike (fresh oil) there's a loud high pitched whistle coming from the bottom of the engine. Everyone I've asked has said it's the balance shaft being too tight.

I've TRIED and tried to turn the adjuster but it won't budge. It literally doesn't move, I've even tried using an impact driver and nothing.

I didn't have this problem before changing the sump, so it's completely new to me. Bike rode absolutely fine and I even did a 300 mile round trip on the bike with no issues a few days before.

Is the balance shaft adjuster seized? What do I have to do to free it up and adjust it?

Someone suggested it was the starter motor being stuck on but even I know that it's not. Had people come look at and they agreed it's not. Had other people try loosen the adjuster and nothing. I really don't want to have to remove the engine and get it stripped apart :(

Any ideas?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Upon starting the bike (fresh oil) there's a loud high pitched whistle coming from the bottom of the engine. Everyone I've asked has said it's the balance shaft being too tight.
:sign_welcome:

i have this same problem with a very loud whistle sound coming from a zx 1000 motor. not sure what the sound is.
that shaft seal is leaking. can anyone tell me where and how to adjust the balance shaft? how bad is this for the motor if i can not adjust?
any help would be great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the reply, how long have you had the high pitched whistle? Mines only just appeared after changing the sump, and my shaft seal doesn't appear to leak.. I just can't loosen the balance shaft adjustment to save my life.. Are you able to ride the bike with a tight balance shaft?

·
Registered
918 Posts
The punch mark should be towards the front . With engine idling you loosen the clamp bolt and turn the adjuster counter clockwise until noisy . turn clockwise till least noise and tighten clamp bolt .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you able to ride the bike with a tight balance shaft?
i just bought the bike and it has always had this noise. i have rode a few times since buying the bike.
i have been wondering if this noise is bad and is causing damage.
i will try to adjust before i ride again. hoping to not have the problem you are having with the adjuster being stuck.

i will do what quisp suggested tomorrow after work, hope it works. :grin2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
#oldassbump

Mine's always done this since I bought mine back in 2015. Just had it in for tires and other maintenance at a shop that I like that really only sees dirtbikes and sleds. They say they don't know, but it seems like it's cause for concern...

Was there an actual solution to this? @quisp is this the prescribed method for the whining symptoms?

Everyone else involved: did this solve the issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts