Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, unfortunately my Gpz produce very unconfonfortable sound after start, it sounds like whistling/whining/whirring noise. I am not able to identify where is this noise coming from, even I tried to listen different parts of engine by stethoscope.
Bike bought after stayed long time.

Video in link

I´ve tried to adjust balancer shaft according manual and adjusting procedure is in line with manual -> cold engine, turning screw left until noise come and back until noise disappear. So Balacer shaft will not be that noise issue, I suppose. (if it is not happening something else there)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me or have some tips.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
They always had that whistle.. Mine whistled too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Blainethemono: don´t agree with you that this noise is normal, I´ve checked several videos of GPZ and found out only one with similar kind of noise :-(
@quisp: checked now, no leakage

edit 18/8: I´ve tried to check engine noise by stethoscope again and even my girlfriend tried to listen (ear+steth) and we both have agreed that this whistling noise is coming somewhere from front lower part of engine where the balancer shaft is probably placed in.(see picture)

But as I wrote adjusting of balancer shaft behave quite correct and according manual so it seems to me something additional is wrong there. Do anyone have idea what could happen or be wrong there to produce kind of noise?

I will also try to check manual (pictures of shaft, bearings, position etc) if I can see something which make sense to get noise like that but I am little bit skeptical.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Well, I only owned one for 3 years and 20,000 miles before I threw it off a 1500 foot cliff....

It only made 3 noises.. Whistling/whirring, clicking which was the timing chain needing adjustment, and the 2nd gear snick... Balancer makes more of a ticking sound. U can always check that by moving the adjustment out of spec a bit. It will get louder, which may help narrowing down the noise.

Ive listened to your video 7 times, and that whir is NORMAL to me, @ least..... especially on a cold engine. Kawasaki's make all sort of noises when cold. Most sound like they are coming apart. Once warmed up they are fine. If it runs fine stop worrying about it... MY 900R whirred every day of its life.....

With ALL that being said, yours probably has a bunch more miles on it compared to mine, so a whole new group of noises could be at play here, so Ill bow out...

@ 2:48 he slightly blips the throttle, u can hear a slight whir. But I think u may be right, some may have whirred, others may have not. Mine whirred, and so did every one I encountered back in 84 to 86, including the ones from Canuck Land

Thats Canada to you rookies. :D

UPDATE: Gads, now Im really overthinking this. What would make 1 900R whir and another not, all things being equal. The only thing we have as variables is US. We could use different spark plugs, gas and OIL.

I always used Union 76 20/50 in my 900R back then since made for Motorcycle oil wasnt as prevelent as it is today. I wonder if the thicker viscosity would stick to the interior timing, Hy-VO and balancer chains more when cold causing the "whirring" we hear. Begs the question, what oil viscosity are you using? 10/40 or 20/50?

Reactions: ninjanut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you sync'ed the carbs? It sounds normal to me except for some clutch rattle that synchronizing the carbs should fix/ quiet down. A good performing, close tolerance gear driven machines make that sound. My 636 & Concours 14 sounded like that too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My first street bike was a 85 ZX 9 that I put 70 k on.
My friend and I had that motor in and out of that bike 4 - 5 times doing performance adds.
It was always in real good shape, I remember that whirling sound Im hearing on your vid.
I listened to your recording and it sounds like mine did at all versions.
Does it change when you pull the clutch in? and I was thinking the starter clutch. Might want to yank the starter and bump start it. But honestly I cant remember if the clutch falls apart if you pull the started out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In general it does not sound too bad, the only thing left to check is the alternator/starter chain tensioner.
Check out this link:

All the watercooled engines from the 900R-1000RX-ZX10-ZX11 and even the ZRX suffered from the tensioner failing and destroying the clutch basket over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts