Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how can i make my shifting patern reverse?do i need a shift linkage or can i flip it around?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can just flip it on the 07/ I just noticed you have an 05 so I'm not sure, you need to look at the shifter arm on the bike to see if you have enough room to flip the arm without the linkage hitting anything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I flipped mine as soon as I got it home from buying my bike. I think it is awsome that Kawi engineers allowed the room and the shift knuckle that much leeway. Heck, it saved me $300.00 bucks because I would have ordered a set of rearsets that night.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I flipped mine as soon as I got it home from buying my bike. I think it is awsome that Kawi engineers allowed the room and the shift knuckle that much leeway. Heck, it saved me $300.00 bucks because I would have ordered a set of rearsets that night.
whats actually involved in flipping it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
it is really quite simple to do. You have a pinch bolt that holds the shifter knuckle on to the transmission rod. If you look at it, it should be pretty easy to figure it out. The pinch bolt comes from the right side in to the left. You need to loosen and remove the bolt, flip the knuckle over 180 degrees, align your shift pedal to your liking and put the bolt back in from the left side going in to the right side. The way I positioned mine it took a little bit of wiggling to get the bolt and everything back on, but like I said it saved me $300.00 bucks! If I didin't explain it very well let me know and I will take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
no you explained it just fine..but if you could take a pic that would be awesome....
so how long did it take you to get used to the shift pattern being reversed..i guess the slipper clutch comes in handy for a little bit :-D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I raced for 5 years in the amatuer ranks with WERA and I used the GP shift on my race bike. During that same time I had street bikes as well and I was going back and forth between standard and GP, which wasn't too bad, but I did have a few scarey moments. With that said I prefer GP shift now and all bikes get converted immediately.

·
Registered
102 Posts
cool..so does this actually buy you anything by switching it around..and if you get a chance to take some pics, that would be great cause id like to give it a try

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, the theory is in racing the majority of your braking is done while you are vertical on your machine therefore, putting your foot under the shift pedal, to downshift, doesn't pose any clearance problem. Some tracks require you to upshift during a left turn and having your foot on top, clicking down, doesn't give you any toe rash or slow you down waiting to exit the turn before you can put your foot under the shift lever to grab the next gear. However, all of this is a moot point because there are several great racers who don't use the GP shift pattern like Matt Mladin.

It really doesn't matter how you shift, it's just more of what is comfortable for you?

·
Registered
102 Posts
thanks for the info..i always like to know the technical reasons behind why people do some of the things they do and their advantages/disadvantages.

thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
for my '06 636 i made a spacer to move the linkage away from the frame.for me it makes clutchless shifts much smoother especially on track days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts