Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
You don't have to change them togther. However keep this in mind it is sometimes cheaper to do a front sprocket then getting a custom rear sprocket done. Use this for a guide when you change the rear going up three teeth is like dropping one tooth in the front. A good setup for street/stunt riding is F down 1 R up 2
Front sprockets tend to be cheaper then rear sprockets but you are limited on how many teeth you can drop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't have to change them togther. However keep this in mind it is sometimes cheaper to do a front sprocket then getting a custom rear sprocket done. Use this for a guide when you change the rear going up three teeth is like dropping one tooth in the front. A good setup for street/stunt riding is F down 1 R up 2
Front sprockets tend to be cheaper then rear sprockets but you are limited on how many teeth you can drop.
+1, yep.. mine's the same setup... i have -1 Front and +2 rear.. do u think i can wheelie thru gears with this setup?? i mean how easy wud it be?:headscratch

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey man, i can't wait to hear the out come. i want to do the almost the same 1 down and 3 up. let me know how it works out. im curious on if it would just make the bike want to take flight all the time

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah that was the setup on my old ZX6 and that thing would lift without even thinking about it. And that bike was carburated imagine those results on a fuel injected bike. Sprockets will only bring you so far alot of distance wheelie riding is all about throttle control and rider skill.

YOSHED636- dont go with that setup by going with that setup you are going to have to change the chain to a longer one. Also the cost of a larger rear sprocket. You will get the same results by dropping the front sprocket down 2 without breaking the bank. A front sprocket range in price from $14-$29 while a rear sprocket range in price from $32-$78 plus the cost of a new chain

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that was the setup on my old ZX6 and that thing would lift without even thinking about it. And that bike was carburated imagine those results on a fuel injected bike. Sprockets will only bring you so far alot of distance wheelie riding is all about throttle control and rider skill.
wow! cant wait to fit em..the damn mechanic is way too busy..:banghead

YOSHED636- dont go with that setup by going with that setup you are going to have to change the chain to a longer one. Also the cost of a larger rear sprocket. You will get the same results by dropping the front sprocket down 2 without breaking the bank. A front sprocket range in price from $14-$29 while a rear sprocket range in price from $32-$78 plus the cost of a new chain
+1

·
Registered
151 Posts
(zx9racer) hey thanks for the heads up on that. so what you think could i do 1down and 2 up in the rear with stock chain? for some reason i just don't want to go down any further then a 14 in the front, but i didn't know how large if any that i could go in the rear without changing the chain

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you add 2 teeth to the rear with 15 tooth front you will need 2 more links in your chain. I ran 14/43 with the stock chain then decided to go 15/45. Had to get a longer chain (110 links to 112). Might just get away with it at 14/45 but I really think that you will be geared too low. 14/43 was getting me easy 1st and 2nd gear wheelies but was a drag when hiway cruising. I was always turning 8-9000 rpm in 6th gear. I think with a 14/45 you will be way to low geared to run highway at a decent 70-80mph but should wheelie like no ones business...

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks man so sounds like i'll keep my front where it's at, and maybe add 3 to the rear? i've been procrastinating on this for over a year cause i didn't want to sacrifice to much of my top, and it sounds like i will if i go down in the front but i do want it to come up easier!

·
Registered
201 Posts
By going up 3 in the rear you will get the results as if you went down 1 in the front. If you want it to come up easier you are going to have to sacrifice some top end. By doing this gear swap you are only going to lose about 5% top end. With doing a 1 down and 2 up you will lose about 7-10% on the top end but the front end will come up without a problem with either of these swaps.
Here is a little calculation you can follow to find out what your first gear ratio will be divide the rear sprocket tooth count by the front sprocket tooth count.

15 front 39 rear - 39/15=2.6
14 front 39 rear- 39/14=2.7857143
14 front 41 rear- 41/14=2.9285714
14 front 43 rear- 43/14=3.0714286

The lower number the torque will be lower which will result in a higher top end speed.
The higher the number more torque which will result in quicker launches off the the line, easier ability to wheelie, and a lower top end speed

Hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
You will need a new washer when you change out the front sprocket.

It's doesn't cost that much, but it's a special part tha's designed to be bent over the sprocket nut after you've tightened it up. This stops the nut shaking loose. There's loads of vibration at that point on the bike and the nut will come loose easlily if you don't fit the washer.

Also note. My sprocket nut was on so tight it must have been close to threading. You will need an impact wrench (rent this) and a hex (not bi-hex) impact socket set to get the existing nut off. Torque wrench the nut back on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You will need a new washer when you change out the front sprocket.

It's doesn't cost that much, but it's a special part tha's designed to be bent over the sprocket nut after you've tightened it up. This stops the nut shaking loose. There's loads of vibration at that point on the bike and the nut will come loose easlily if you don't fit the washer.

Also note. My sprocket nut was on so tight it must have been close to threading. You will need an impact wrench (rent this) and a hex (not bi-hex) impact socket set to get the existing nut off. Torque wrench the nut back on.

Thanks for the heads up dude!:smile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts