Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been ridinga for 5 years(always left the bikes stock) and bought a 2010 zx14 and decided put a set of jardine rt5 pipes on it. When I let off the gas it seems like there is pressure build up in the pipes and it pops back. what's causing it and how can I fix it?

· Forum Leaders
19,302 Posts
Generally speaking the bike has always made those noises except with the stock pipes which are designed to actually muffle the sound you don't really hear it. Aftermarket pipes are usually designed to make the bike louder so naturally you will hear noises like this more.

However, if you installed a full system you have most like thrown off the air/fuel ratio which will require either an ECU reflash or the cheaper more common alternative, a Power Commander to reduce these "popping" noises (also known as after fire)

If you just installed "slip-ons" (no header change and/or catalytic converter removal) you should be fine with out a Power Commander and these noises are not an issue. Some will say throw a Power Commander anyway and it may reduce the popping slightly.

· Registered
773 Posts
The 3500 rpm pop is well known. Even with my PC5 and custom map and other mods I still get the pop. I kind of like it BTW. Friends say there is a nice flame out the pipes at night.

But....the packing in the Akro's are now shot and its very loud w/o the silencers. Could be the fuel pop (explosion) has burned out the packing. And at $80 a can to rebuild it is expensive.

I am taking it to a tuner this year to see what he can do, I think you can block off the air tube to reduce the pop, but I have not done that.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
I've been running my pipes for a while and I like the pop too. It doesnt have anything to do with tuning from what I understand, but the block off plates in the air box. That is known as decel pop.

· Registered
202 Posts
All ove these are excellent answers. I too need to do the block off plates.

· Registered
127 Posts
I have an '08 with a Muzzy M 10 system and PC III that has the 3500rpm decel pop.

I've been told that it is due to the stock CPU cutting off the fuel at 3500 rpm and it is left over fuel being burned.

Haven't found a way around it.

It makes me sound like a Moto GP racer :smile

BTW

It also comes in handy when your riding in da' Hood :crackup

Mike

· Registered
497 Posts
I have done everything under the sun and the only thing that will stop that is adding a ATRE that will stop it no problem for real. But if you did a full system you should also add the PC and have a custom map done.

· Premium Member
13,442 Posts
I have done everything under the sun and the only thing that will stop that is adding a ATRE that will stop it no problem for real. But if you did a full system you should also add the PC and have a custom map done.

BWII has an ATRE and there's no pop. The ATRE fools the ECU into thinking it's in 6th gear all the time, but that's what indicated on the LCD. Adding a Gipro (or similar) gear indicator helps if you need to know what gear you're in.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Block off plates from Kyle Racing did the trick for me. $30ish and don't forget to also block off the air box tubes.

· Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,875 Posts
This is kind of a funny subject it took me months after I put my pipe and pcv on to notice this phenomenon because of the way I ride . I usually grab the clutch and use the brakes when I decelerate . My bike rarely does this but on a side note I did block the clean air tube from the get go also . It is kind of funny when you can time it just right it really turns some heads .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.