Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Gopro cams.How do you people have your setup?

How long can you record? Best options and stuff to pick up?

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Buy the motor sports one with the suction cup mount. It also has a bunch of sticky mounts too. Length of recording depends on how big of a card you get. My card is pretty small and I get an hour at 960. But as you will find and hour is alot of footage to go through when editing. I would like a card big enough to video every session when I go to the track, which would be 2 to 2 1/2 hr of riding.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Hd hero2 are on eBay for $ 252 and $5 ship.

Probably gonna pick up extra batteries too.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Just a different idea.
I also looked at go pro until one of the memebers told me about the Drift HD.
Couple of cool features the go pro doesn't have. Rotating lense so mounting at an angle is easier and a small monitor to see what your recording.
Cheaper too.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Definition-Helmet-Action-Camera/dp/B005H2RDK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340106707&sr=8-1&keywords=drift+hd[/ame]

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just a different idea.
I also looked at go pro until one of the memebers told me about the Drift HD.
Couple of cool features the go pro doesn't have. Rotating lense so mounting at an angle is easier and a small monitor to see what your recording.
Cheaper too.
http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Definit...=UTF8&qid=1340106707&sr=8-1&keywords=drift+hd
I have the Drift camera, pretty good. Although the mic picks up way to much wind so i have a external mic and run it somewheres where theres no wind. The newer HD cameras are small and have a hardcase. Heres a few videos of how the drift is...

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
I have the Drift camera, pretty good. Although the mic picks up way to much wind so i have a external mic and run it somewheres where theres no wind.
I've often said that's the problem with the GoPro; wind noise, even with the full plastic waterproof case. Not sure about the Drift but the GoPro has no option for an external or auxiliary mic.

Short of running a separate recording device with it's own mic I'm not sure what to do to correct the problem. I've even tried stuffing a piece of cotton next to the mic inside the case of the GoPro to no avail.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Never had a problem with wind noise, even at 150 mph.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You may want to check out the Contour GPS. It will let you use your Blue tooth smart phone as a view finder and it has a built in GPS so if can give your speed and position during video play back.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
You may want to check out the Contour GPS. It will let you use your Blue tooth smart phone as a view finder and it has a built in GPS so if can give your speed and position during video play back.
Cool feature with the Contour cams. The Storyteller app lets you connect the camera to a PC and then adjust the pickup level of the mic.

I have the suction cup mount and had it mounted on my windshield. with the mic turned way down, the noise isn't a problem.

Story teller also lets you adjust several other video capture features.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Could just be the right position and low sensitivity. The video i posted of my cam on my helmet with the bike, there was no external mic. Heres another example. Ref. the second video i posted of me racing my car on the track. Here is the same camera, same settings/setup but just a tiny bit forward mounting position.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Here's the best price I've seen:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-HD-HERO2-Motorsports-Edition/dp/B005WY3TMA/[/ame]

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
:headscratch

Gotta admit, yours has waaay less wind noise than mine at those mount positions.

Which model is yours? Any particular case type or setting?
Its the 1st gen hd. I really only use the solid back. Never had air noise with it. Maybe check your seal by submerging it in water, without the camera of course, and see if it gets water inside. I usually only shoot in 960 since youtube dumbs it down. May try some 720 on the next track day

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Its the 1st gen hd. I really only use the solid back. Never had air noise with it. Maybe check your seal by submerging it in water, without the camera of course, and see if it gets water inside. I usually only shoot in 960 since youtube dumbs it down. May try some 720 on the next track day
So your go pro is enclosed in some sort of case? How would you submerge something?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
So your go pro is enclosed in some sort of case? How would you submerge something?

like this, just without the camera in the case. Just to see if the seal is good. Man you're getting old and senile

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixUu4Gu2g0c&list=UUgJGUWuaN-0WX3X7xgoXdQw&index=6&feature=plcp

like this, just without the camera in the case. Just to see if the seal is good. Man you're getting old and senile
That's actually pretty cool and no wind noise underwater.
Seriously though, if it's in a case, wouldn't that cut down on any noise or do you just use the go pro by itself on the bike?
I've already sent one camera back due to wind noise and considering the Drift but it seems the go pro is still the fave. I just hate the way it looks.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
No it is always in the case. Why worry what it looks like, its not like you see it in the video

1 - 20 of 42 Posts