Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a GoPro Hero 2....still haven't decided where i want to mount it but was curious to see if anyone has used the suction cup mount for it yet? I know it says it's rated for something stupid like 200 mph....but still don't want to risk it without some testimonial. So if you have give me some feedback and where you mounted it (left that one open for some comments haha)

·
Registered
888 Posts
not a whole lot of place to put a suction cup on a bike.
i have used the suction cup once on a basketball glass board.

but on my bike, i always use the 3m stickies.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Have seen a few vids of them falling off. Don't ever trust the suction mount with a nice expensive camera like that.

·
Registered
782 Posts
not sure how the gopro handles but i have the drift innovations camera and i've used the velcro mount on my helmet. Was nervous at first if it will hold but i got up to 250kmh without it moving.

Also used the suction mount on my car at the track and got up to 145kmh with no issues.

heres a quick video of the cam on the side of my helmet

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've used the suction cup mount many times. I had the same concern at first but not any more. If you have a clean flat surface on your bike it will work. I believe it has something like 150 lbs of pull.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just thought of this, but let's say you use the suction cup and then use some strong fishing line to somehow tether the camera to your bike in case the suction cup fails... This way you wont drop it to the street..

·
Registered
782 Posts
but if the suction cup fails then u have a camera flying around fishing wire attached to it. It could easier get wrapped around your throat, tires, chain...anything. Thats really dangerous.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I've had the suction cup mount well over 140MPH with no problems. Check out my youtube channel for some of the views.
+1 I do tether it to the bike to the closest body screw though. but never had it come off even when i had it to low and it hit the street in a turn

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
thought i would open this thread again.

just got a gopro hero hd (not gopro hero 2) motor sport on amazon.co.uk
got 49% off.

ive taken it out on my KTM 300 exc off roading and stuck the sucker cup to the side of my MX lid.

it stuck like glue!

only thing i now have to do is work out the angle i need the camera to be at when its fitted.

this morning, i took it to work on my bike and had it stuck to the right side of the tank. had it up to 110mph and didnt move.

just wondering where the people on here are putting their cams for the best view front and back.

soon as the video is uploaded on youtube ill post up.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Administrator
58,697 Posts
not sure how the gopro handles but i have the drift innovations camera and i've used the velcro mount on my helmet. Was nervous at first if it will hold but i got up to 250kmh without it moving.

Also used the suction mount on my car at the track and got up to 145kmh with no issues.

heres a quick video of the cam on the side of my helmet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTciKO6e7Y
thought i would open this thread again.

just got a gopro hero hd (not gopro hero 2) motor sport on amazon.co.uk
got 49% off.

ive taken it out on my KTM 300 exc off roading and stuck the sucker cup to the side of my MX lid.

it stuck like glue!

only thing i now have to do is work out the angle i need the camera to be at when its fitted.
this morning, i took it to work on my bike and had it stuck to the right side of the tank. had it up to 110mph and didnt move.

just wondering where the people on here are putting their cams for the best view front and back.

soon as the video is uploaded on youtube ill post up.
Snakes, how do you like your dtift camera? I think it has more to offer than the go pro especially with the lcd screen and swivel lense to get the camera angle correct.
The new Drift is smaller and more features.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
but if the suction cup fails then u have a camera flying around fishing wire attached to it. It could easier get wrapped around your throat, tires, chain...anything. Thats really dangerous.
I dont think he means to put 6 feet of line on it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Snakes, how do you like your dtift camera? I think it has more to offer than the go pro especially with the lcd screen and swivel lense to get the camera angle correct.
The new Drift is smaller and more features.
http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Definition-Helmet-Action-Camera/dp/B005H2RDK6/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_t_1
I love it. The picture quality is amazing and it offers alot more then the gopro. Only thing i dont like is the sound. Either it picks up barely anything or if you turn the mic sensitivity up, it pics up every single rattle and lots of wind. The newer version (Drift HD) is shorter and it has a hardcase. I'm pissed they didnt make a hardcase for the one i have. Here is a few more videos of my car and bike...

·
Administrator
58,697 Posts
I like the bike video. I have the same bike and exhaust, sounds just like that.:crazyloco The audio didn't seem bad. Was that the external mic? Or was the camera protected from some of the wind? I just sent a camera back since the wind noise was horrendous. I want to be able to hear the sounds of the bike, car, etc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
No external mic. On those videos it came out perfect. It depends how i mount the camera really. It's weird. Like this...windows down ... all you hear is wind.

On the outside of the car....no wind...

With the suction cups, you really make sure its on good. I did a pull on the highway. The camera was on my helmet with the 3m mounts so i just stuck the suction cup on the side. It took me 20 mins to find the damn suction mount on the side of the highway...lol.

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
Just watched some of those videos, how on earth do you get the camera that stable?!?!

Whenever i put mine on the fairing its all over the place :banghead

Any hope of some pictures of youre setup?:rolleyes pretty pls
I'll try to snap a few pics of the spots I use to shoot video from.

Since my last post in this thread I've kicked the suction mount to the curb simply because it shakes a bit much. I have the 3M mounts stuck to:

- Tail piece
- Undertail
- Front/right upper next to the mirror
- left side low on the middle of fairing
- right side low on the middle of fairing
- Swingarm left side (need to move it back a bit though as my heal hits the cam)

I'll try snapping some pics tonight when I'm home

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
had my GOPRO suckered to my RH fairing.
not a bad pic. first try.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts