Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Thanks for the add.

I have just picked up a C1 Zx9r in many boxes. Its title shows repairable write off and there is a small dent in the frame. I am going to go through the rigmarole of investigating putting it back on the road.
I am confident that its perfectly structurally sound as the dent is really very minor.

If the ACT (Canberra, Australia) won't allow it back on the road I will sell it as a track bike.

I have got the motor back in and started to run the loom back into place.

First question:
There is two black and yellow plugs as a part of the coil sub loom but I can only find one plug to receive them. (see picture) is this correct?

Question two:
I have got power to the lights, clocks etc and when I hit the starter button the fuel pump whirrs but no starter motor. Does this pint directly to the starter solenoid?

Question 3:

I have two sets of clocks, see pictures. The bracket that bolts to the head tube and holds the clocks fits the larger of the two sets but that set show no life when plugged in. The smaller set, that don't fit the bracket jump to life when I plug them in. Wrong bracket?

Thanks in advance

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fender Grass Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Martin
Light Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Gas

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gauge

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
360 Posts
First question:
There are two black and yellow plugs as a part of the coil sub loom but I can only find one plug to receive them. (see picture) is this correct?

Question two:
I have got the power to the lights, clocks, etc, and when I hit the starter button the fuel pump whirrs but no starter motor. Does this pint directly to the starter solenoid?

Question 3:
I have two sets of clocks, see pictures. The bracket that bolts to the head tube and holds the clocks fits the larger of the two sets but that set shows no life when plugged in. The smaller set, that doesn't fit the bracket jump to life when I plug them in. Wrong bracket?
1. The C loom has the stick coil plugs coming from the loom on either side of the engine, 2 on each side.

2. It's more likely to point to one of the starter interlocks not working, either the clutch lever switch, or side stand switch, or neutral under the front sprocket not connected.
More so if you cant hear the starter solenoid relay clicking.

3. The clocks are wired differently so don't swap them as they won't work and may cause damage to the clocks. If you really want to fit the E/F clocks then there is a pin swap information with pictures over on zx-9r.net.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. The C loom has the stick coil plugs coming from the loom on either side of the engine, 2 on each side.

2. It's more likely to point to one of the starter interlocks not working, either the clutch lever switch, or side stand switch, or neutral under the front sprocket not connected.
More so if you cant hear the starter solenoid relay clicking.

3. The clocks are wired differently so don't swap them as they won't work and may cause damage to the clocks. If you really want to fit the E/F clocks then there is a pin swap information with pictures over on zx-9r.net.
Thanks for your reply Yorkie.

The coils on mine have just the two plugs on the right hand side of the engine. I have found one of those plugs mate but not the other. Are they both supposed to be plugged into something?

I have a green neutral light illuminated on the dash that turns off when I change gear so I'm happy that the neutral is connected. If I'm in neutral does the clutch have to be depressed? I will check the condition of the stand switch.

I don't mind which set of clocks I use as long as they work. The smaller ones do - which model are these from please?

Thanks again

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you only have 2 plugs on the right-hand side then you may have an E loom, which has one plug that feeds all 4 coils. the other plug probably feeds the throttle position sensor on the carbs.
I would probably need to see more pictures of the loom and bike to figure out what you have. a picture of the top left front of the engine too so I can see if theres a cam position sensor fitted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you only have 2 plugs on the right-hand side then you may have an E loom, which has one plug that feeds all 4 coils. the other plug probably feeds the throttle position sensor on the carbs.
I would probably need to see more pictures of the loom and bike to figure out what you have. a picture of the top left front of the engine too so I can see if theres a cam position sensor fitted.
That sounds very likely then if the E clocks fire up and I have spare plug on the coils with no where to go suggesting a c1 engine and an e loom. the C1 engine not having the position sensor on the carbs. There is no cam position sensor.

I assume this will not work as the ecu will need info from a throttle sensor that it won't be getting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Yorkie.
I have now identified that I do in fact have an E model engine and loom and a C1 frame. I'll take a better look at the carbs to locate the throttle position sensor and pug it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts