Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
New to the forum but I have ridden bikes for the majority of my life.
Was trying to find a 600cc of some sort but this zx9r posted on craigslist caught my attention.
It's a 2000, with 4800 original miles.
only mod is a two bros. slip on.
priced at 3500.

Pretty excited about it but the only bad thing is, as far as i know (havent seen it in person yet), is it was dropped in the driveway. it messed up the plastic but since then he replaced it with primered pieces. also the turn signal is busted out.

Sounds to me to be worth the price, I just don't know how hard it would be to replace that signal light, or how expensive paint would be, and stuff like that.

Also, going to go look at it today. Is there anything in particular to look out for? I saw someone on here posted he got a zx9 with low miles like what im looking at, but had to replace the engine in the first little bit. Definitely dont want that to happen :eek:hno

Im pretty new to the sportsbike scene, so any suggestions will be helpful. Sound like a good deal? :headscratch

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just bought a 2000 with 22K for $2800. It has a Two Bros. slip on as well and a slight dent in the tank but all original plastic and no real major defects also runs great.
Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I just bought a 2000 with 22K for $2800. It has a Two Bros. slip on as well and a slight dent in the tank but all original plastic and no real major defects also runs great.
Just my $0.02
You bought a damaged bike with almost 5 times as many miles for 700 less, was there a point in there somewhere?

OPs bike sounds like a way better deal than yours. Assuming the plastics on his are actually replacements that are in good shape but need paint, I would pay 3500 for that thing - then get it painted the color I want.

And even still, if he is asking 3500... show up with 3k and wave it in the guy's face and you will probably have a sale.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Yeah, my bad. Lets compare two different examples of things and call them the same thing. Then be a tool about it with no explanation whatsoever.

Assuming "average" miles and undamaged (though unpainted) plastics, and assuming there is not a scratch on it elsewhere, thats a $4k bike at any dealer around here. That thing has very low miles. Hell, dealers around here have 9s with more miles and broken plastics going for more than 4k - trust me, I looked. And before you say "well you can price it any way you want but they wont sell... I assure you that they sell.

Not all of us live in the middle of nowhere in a town where shops can't move bikes. I dont know if you saw my bike, but when I tell people how much I paid for it they all act like I got a good deal.

I know I didn't, but prices vary wildly depending on the area.

So I still maintain that I would pay 3500 for that bike, but try for 3k, assuming the plastics are physically intact.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Thats alot of money for a decade old bike (12 years or so eh?)
I'd offer 2500 max and if he wanted more I'd remind him of every fact about bikes - generations last 3 years max, bikes past 5 years old are usually worth dramatically less than they once were, and most bikes need lots of mainentance to maintain value....
talk him down at least a grand and THEN consider it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
"Yeah, my bad. Lets compare two different examples of things and call them the same thing. Then be a tool about it with no explanation whatsoever."

This is really funny.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
The douchebaggery is astounding.

My statement still stands.

http://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/ne...2K2012J11I30I21JAMQ2767R0&veh=285&pov=2520558

And I am willing to bet this bike wont make it 2 weeks before being sold - and at that price, because they NEVER come down on price. They don't have to. They average 12 bikes a day sold there.

Maybe where you guys are from these prices seem high, but around here that is not that bad. Again, assuming a flawless bike with nothing more than unpainted fairings (as I clearly pointed out several times).

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I'd offer 2500 max and if he wanted more I'd remind him of every fact about bikes - generations last 3 years max, bikes past 5 years old are usually worth dramatically less than they once were, and most bikes need lots of mainentance to maintain value....
I'm with him. I'm not sure what zx9's are priced at to be completely honest, I can tell you I wouldn't pay that much for one.
-Cody

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, my bad. Lets compare two different examples of things and call them the same thing. Then be a tool about it with no explanation whatsoever.

Assuming "average" miles and undamaged (though unpainted) plastics, and assuming there is not a scratch on it elsewhere, thats a $4k bike at any dealer around here. That thing has very low miles. Hell, dealers around here have 9s with more miles and broken plastics going for more than 4k - trust me, I looked. And before you say "well you can price it any way you want but they wont sell... I assure you that they sell.

Not all of us live in the middle of nowhere in a town where shops can't move bikes. I dont know if you saw my bike, but when I tell people how much I paid for it they all act like I got a good deal.

I know I didn't, but prices vary wildly depending on the area.

So I still maintain that I would pay 3500 for that bike, but try for 3k, assuming the plastics are physically intact.
Yeah I went to about 7 shops between two towns and they didn't have a single used bike. and if they did they were like 8 grand+ with a shit ton of miles so i just said fuck it and got on craigslist.

but the miles on this thing makes me feel a lot better about it bein 12 years old.
and brown y u b trollin? :squint

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah i'll talk him down as low as i can, but it seems to be a pretty good deal for around here. Plus riding season startin up so everybody is looking for a ride. Worst time of the year to buy a bike but I dont wanna wait til next season :banghead

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I didn't get butthurt, I asked what your point was.

If you perceived that as anything more than a question, then it was in fact you who's butt was hurt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I assumed the common phrase of "my $0.02" was taken as a statement with no real point other than to state ones experience that may or may not be exactly similar to the conversation at hand but closely related to it.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
74 Posts
Watch out for the common 2000 ZX9 frame crack. It will be on the left or right side where the bend occurs by the tank. Mine was on the left.

Other than that, seems like a decent deal, Although I paid 3k for my 2000 9 with 9k miles, never dropped, new tires and brakes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts