Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey looking to get a zx10r in about a week or two. Wanted a 14 but wallet says 10r.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations or general tips you guys have would be appreciated.

Also, how the comfortability for long trips and 2up?

· Registered
213 Posts
i know its a little different but i just made the switch from a 03 636 to an 08 zx10r and couldnt be happier.

the power is great and i wanted something a little better for highway commuting since the 636 would just scream the whole way.

havent had a two up yet, but in comparison to my 636 the tail on the 08 zx10r is small(smaller than i thought, idk if youve seen one in person)

· Registered
62 Posts
I know it's gonna be a big difference. Just don't know how much. I've put 27k on the SV and I just need a bit more power.
Going from a zx6 or a 636 is better than going from the sv650. You might want to look at going to a zx6 which is something like 120 to 130hp at the crank compared to 70. Going to a liter bike or above is like night and day. If I drive my zx12 first then go to my zx6 I feel like I am driving a moped haha. It is very easy to get yourself in more trouble a lot quicker on the bigger bikes.

· Registered
5,381 Posts
comfort is gonna depend on your height. If you're a normal sized human being or smaller, you're gonna be great for comfort on the 10r. once you get to around the 6'3" ish or taller is where comfort diminishes quicker and you'll want a bigger bike. I'm a big guy and sport bike and long distance comfort are two terms that don't go together...

· Premium Member
82 Posts
And I thought I was crazy going from an SV1000 to a new zx-10 :p

All I can suggest is staying low in the RPM's for a while until you get a feel for the handeling, then slowly work your way up in the powerband. wacking the throttle after a downshift, exiting a corner at 10k rpm is A LOT differant than whacking the SV WFO @6k.

If you don't go easy, you may wind up hurt w/ a broken bike.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too small

Going from a zx6 or a 636 is better than going from the sv650. You might want to look at going to a zx6 which is something like 120 to 130hp at the crank compared to 70. Going to a liter bike or above is like night and day. If I drive my zx12 first then go to my zx6 I feel like I am driving a moped haha. It is very easy to get yourself in more trouble a lot quicker on the bigger bikes.

600 is too small. I'm 6'1. And I like to 2up alot. Plus I don't want to have to trade up in two years for something w more power. Good suggestion though

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

comfort is gonna depend on your height. If you're a normal sized human being or smaller, you're gonna be great for comfort on the 10r. once you get to around the 6'3" ish or taller is where comfort diminishes quicker and you'll want a bigger bike. I'm a big guy and sport bike and long distance comfort are two terms that don't go together...
6'1 it should fit ok

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sound advice

And I thought I was crazy going from an SV1000 to a new zx-10 :p

All I can suggest is staying low in the RPM's for a while until you get a feel for the handeling, then slowly work your way up in the powerband. wacking the throttle after a downshift, exiting a corner at 10k rpm is A LOT differant than whacking the SV WFO @6k.

If you don't go easy, you may wind up hurt w/ a broken bike.

Thanks! I know the power band is a world apart. I plan on taking a 200-300 rountrip when I get it. All highway and open road mostly.

· Registered
887 Posts
thats a nice upgrade. expet of course riding position is slightly sacrificed.
but i think you will be happy with a 10r, more power for the 2up

sv650 and ducati monsters are fun to throw around on corners and slaloms tho, so you might miss that :) but you'll get greater corner entry and exit with a supersport class.

a little more power would be a zx6r, alot more power of course on the 10 but both are equally strong its on way and will serve you well if you respect it. 27k miles on your current bike so i think you are more experienced than most people who will tell you that 10r is too strong for you so you desrve to get whatever you like.

· Registered
5,533 Posts
600 is too small. I'm 6'1. And I like to 2up alot. Plus I don't want to have to trade up in two years for something w more power. Good suggestion though
You do realize that the 600 and the 10 are almost the same physical size

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what I'm hoping

thats a nice upgrade. expet of course riding position is slightly sacrificed.
but i think you will be happy with a 10r, more power for the 2up

sv650 and ducati monsters are fun to throw around on corners and slaloms tho, so you might miss that :) but you'll get greater corner entry and exit with a supersport class.

a little more power would be a zx6r, alot more power of course on the 10 but both are equally strong its on way and will serve you well if you respect it. 27k miles on your current bike so i think you are more experienced than most people who will tell you that 10r is too strong for you so you desrve to get whatever you like.
Yeah I'm hoping all that mileage will keep me under control. And as a side note, all you new York city drivers...my hats off to you. Traffic there is treacherous. I couldnt do it on the regular

· Registered
23 Posts
If you have to have a liter bike why not a ninja 1000? cheaper than a 10r, slightly detuned motor so its not quite as big a jump on horsepower than your 650, and the handlebars are higher up for more comfortable commuting. It would be more comporable feel to what your used to (except for the more power). A z1000 is another option too. Basically same bike as ninja 1000 minus the fairings.

· Registered
213 Posts
i know an SV650 and a zx6r are farily different but i just made the switch to the 08 zx10r and like oldhead said, theyre about the same size(which is why i did it) seat height, wheel base and bar hieght were all the same. the difference ive noticed it the center of gravity seems to be higher obviously bc theres an extra 400cc of engine under the tank.

i would take someone with you to decide about 2ups, imo the passenger seat is small and doesnt look comfortable at all

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.