Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take it most of us are having issues with the glove box not opening properly, normally needing to push the rear of it to get it to release, absolutely no chance of opening it one handed. Has anyone mentioned it at the first service (assuming you dont do it yourself of course) so they at least know were not happy with it. I know I will be, was wondering if anyone else has thought the same?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Exactly the same problem. Reported at first service. Dealer acknowledged the problem and said they would replace it but it needed approval from Kawasaki first. Still waiting for feedback now 2 weeks later. I have chased today and the dealer has promised to get back to me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Seems no point in replacing it with the same unmodified cover as the fault will only reoccur. Hopefully they will get the modifications done and produce a new cover before my first service. As they havn't even got the accessories out yet ..don't hold your breath!!

What appears to be the problem..? Warping?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maybe someone in the aftermarket world could make us a functional one. They could probably make a small fortune if it was reasonably priced and worked well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hopefully Big K will figure something out. I'd be willing to spend some pretty good money if they would come out with a decent replacement that worked with KIPASS.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe a be a little heat warping but mostly just poor quality injection moulding or whatever method they use, the parts don't really fit together well and snarl up when you push the button in.
Good idea about something more upmarket, but i'd be happy initially if they could at least get something working.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glove box

I had an issue with the glove box before I even got on my bike from the dealers. After being shown around the bike and cleaning off my slobber from drooling over it I decided to put phone and wallet in mine on the way home but it was stuck.Dealer said cos it's new, yeah right. We've got your money so *iss off,He did'nt say that bit but telepathy helps. Anyway, I like fidling about so later I found the whole thing is stuck on with two screws on the inside.Once removed the glove box just seams to hook on the front of the tank. Mine was sticking because the springs that make the thing flip up were not moving properly so I covered them in coppper slip and now it's silcky smooth. This might not be everbody elses problem though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just nipped into garage after the masks tip. Sprayed WD 40 on the rear flip up springs...hey presto nice and smooth . I'd previously greased the front latches to no effect !! Nice one

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think most people could benefit from a little grease.

I took mine off and it works fine when it's not attached to the bike.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mine works perfectly. I've removed and re-installed it several times without a problem.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine works perfect if upside down but otherwise wont work properly even off the bike, not sure I want to park the bike at that angle:crazyloco :rotflmao

But will try a little grease to see if that helps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm experiencing the same problem. However its not big deal. Perhaps someone will come out with a after market that will be better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like to offer this comment for what it's worth. I too had a problem with the latch. Wouldn't open. I was thinking cheap. But then I got to thinking, if I can't open it easily someone else ( like a thief) would have the same problem. If it were metal and had a lock set on it that would be great. More secure at least. For now I'm storing my Autocom in it and running com wires back to the tank bag. I haven't had the courage to hardwire the com to the electrical yet so this may only be a temporary location. But it works in the shortrun. Its great that everyone has different ideas about different solutions for preceived problems and suggestions for fixes and improvements. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
+ 1 for everything said. But I wish that Kawasaki would fix this issue completely. I'd like to think that they are working on the problem because it's so prevalent. I'd also like to think that i am allowing K reasonable time consistent with their customer satisfaction oriented 3 year unlimited miles bumper-to-bumper warrany. That storage location is just really handy and even though mine doesn't open on the first attempt I still keep essential items in that box. I would that they would go one better fix the issue and offer a reasonable priced lockable one as an option. I'm getting kinda tired of riding past my garage in an attempt this thing. In my opinion great idea but poor execution.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did some trimming where the latches hook onto the bottom part. Mine only hung up on the left side, so I trimmed that and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Glove Box

Mine works fine, so far. I use it to house my Starcom1 digital bike comms. Having removed the cover, I drilled a hole through the base unit lh side wall, fitted a grommet and routed all cables to relevant places. Works a treat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts