Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help. Let me first say, I sorta feel like a trader over here on a Kawasaki site. I'm an avid Yamaha rider with an '06 FJR A currently. I'm old and retired and have to much time on my hands, so I do a lot of tinkering. Recently my 25 year old son purchased an '06 ZX14 from someone he knew. Currently its all stock except for some ugly pin stripping (red stripes on black paint, tried to make it look like a Yamaha Raven) and a larger rear sprocket.

The story behind the rear sprocket has my intrest. According to what this guy told him, he changed the sprocket to try and offset something Kawasaki has done to the timing on the bike. I am aware that Suzuki retards the timeing on their bikes and to use a tre device to offset it, but wasn't aware that Kawasaki was following in their foot steps. Now before you guys start jumping on me, I did do a quick search for 'tre' and it came back with nothing (I'm old and not real smart, but I do have a favorite FJR forum I watch!).

So, I've found different information in a couple of different places, and this is what I found. http://www.metricpowersports.com/cgi-bin/metric/GIpro.html. They have a device called a GIPro that I wondered if anyone has ever used. The reason I think I like this is because of the gear indicator. At least with the Suzuki's, once the TRE is plugged in, it messes up any factory gear indicator the bike may have. I assume the Kawasaki's are the same, let me know if I'm wrong. I also like it because it looks to be a mass produced item instead of a home built jobby that someone threw together. I've seen some of the cheap little TRE devices that you can buy for the Suzuki's and I also know that on occassion, they don't hold up well. Plus, the guys on that site also have the SpeedoHealers to fix the speedometer which is now reading incorrectly.

So I'm just looking for some feed back from some owners. Tell me if I'm missing something important please. Also, if any of you have a GIPro and could offer some feedback about function and quality, I would appreciate it. Also install ease.

If I'm bothering anyone, I'm sorry. Looking forward to your responses.

Bax

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice name and thanks for the welcome beansbaxter!

Shortcircuit,
Thanks for that link. It sounds like there is some question as to what the TRE's are actually doing to the ZX14. I see one guy saying it is causing the secondarys to open differently. And another guys says its changing the timing (which is what happens on the Suzuki's). I notice that the comments are a little old. Have you guys been able to verify exactly what is happening? Also, would the changeable map on the GIPro be a valuable feature?

I'd still like to hear from anyone that may have one.

I appreciate you guys taking in an old Yamaha rider and teaching him a thing or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice name and thanks for the welcome beansbaxter!

Shortcircuit,
Thanks for that link. It sounds like there is some question as to what the TRE's are actually doing to the ZX14. I see one guy saying it is causing the secondarys to open differently. And another guys says its changing the timing (which is what happens on the Suzuki's). I notice that the comments are a little old. Have you guys been able to verify exactly what is happening? Also, would the changeable map on the GIPro be a valuable feature?

I'd still like to hear from anyone that may have one.

I appreciate you guys taking in an old Yamaha rider and teaching him a thing or two.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure how it works on the 14 but I have heard good reports on the GIPro for the ZX10. You can switch settings after it is installed and it removes the timing retard feature in the lower gears giving you a race worthy launch and tons of torque. Be gentle with that throttle now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Basx I installed the GI PRO and all I can say is it is a great device..it offers more low end pull. It give you a great 1'' gear indicator that works very accurately and you DO NOT have to remap the bike.. i do not know how to post pictures on this site but will send you some of my mount i did if you email me with your email..mine is [email protected] I mounted mine over the guages by utilizing an aluminum strap i bent and connect4d to the bolt on the back of the guage pod.. it looks and work great...<M>..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts