1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MotoGP: Silly Season Intrigue Heats Up
10/16/2006
By Bart Madson

It is inevitable that the off-season rider shuffle gets away a little early in racing and MotoGP is no different. With one round remaining in the 2006 season, the rider musical chairs routine is starting to heat up as the available seats for '07 are being snatched up. The latest reported move places Carlos Checa on the LCR Honda team for 2007, which in turn leads to speculation on where LCR's current rider, rookie standout Casey Stoner, will draw his pay next year. If rumors are to be believed the young Australian will announce his signing with the Ducati Marlboro team in the upcoming days.

Checa looked impressive during the most recent GP at Estoril. The MotoGP veteran piloted his Dunlop-shod Tech 3 Yamaha to a seventh-place finish during the 28-lap contest, complimenting his seventh-place result at Laguna Seca earlier this season. Checa has toiled under the Tech 3 and its tire development program in '06 but. figures to be a much more potent force with his Michelin/Honda combo when '07 rolls around.

Stoner's move to Ducati is fortuitous, as it would signal Sete Gibernau's departure from the Italian marque. Gibernau's tenure at Ducati was fraught with bad luck and injury, culminating in his early exit from the Estoril GP when he could not avoid the crash of the rider in front of him, none other than his rumored replacement, Casey Stoner. The expected move puts Gibbers out in the cold for now, with the Spaniard not soothed by the new broken bone in his hand and more damage to his twice-operated collarbone.

One place Gibernau could end up for 2007 is on the Kawasaki, with Nakano confirmed not return for team green next season. Besides Gibernau one of the names floating around as a possibility for the open seat on the 800cc Kawasaki includes WSB-rookie and MotoGP veteran Alex Barros.

With Checa departing from the Tech 3 squad, it appears that Herve Poncharal's second rider, James Ellison, seems none too pleased with his riding situation either, if his Estoril post-race comments are any indication. Two spots would then be open on the Tech 3 team.

Source: Motorcycle-USA

·
Registered
990 Posts
Giber's seems to have lost the plot the last couple of seasons, I guess Rossi did his head in the two years before. I'm hoping Kawasaki will go the Barros option, it's more likely anyway as he has big sponsors to bring to the team & has looked very fast in his rookie year in World Superbikes.

Nakano may have done a oops as there are rumours that the Minolta team may keep Tamada after his performance in the last race.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I stilll can't beleive that Barros and Checa still get rides. I know wthey are buying them with sponsorships but how can a couple of has been crashers keep racing? Even Chili threw in the towel this year. Hell Checa cost the Tech 3 Yamaha squad at least his own salary in broken bodywork this year tire program or not!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Stoner seemed to out crash everyone combined & got a good ride, though I guess Pedrosa's crash last race topped all the the rest in one fell swoop.

Someone at a race meeting once told me that if you're not crashing, you're not trying hard enough!!! I figure that to find your limit on the track you have to venture beyond it now & then.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts