Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! First and foremost, I need to rebuild the front forks as the oil is pissing out everywhere and is all over the front fairings and brakes (not good!). What should I replace while I'm in there? What tools do I need to rebuild our front forks? The bike is a long range highway bomber, and I'm not sure whether or not I should do the RaceTech cartridge emulator and springs or one over the other. I may be getting an 06 636 this year for the twisties, so I'm not overly concerned with making ZED a handling monster.

I also need to get new pads on the fronts and rears. Any recommendations that wont blow the bank?

And I have the original chain and sprockets on my 92. I have about 19k on the clock, and I'm sure its time to replace them, any recommendations and insight?

I have new tires on her already, and just need to put the fairings back on and find a way to secure that rear tail light from flopping around, but other than that shes been awesome.

Also, how are you guys lifting your bike for doing services on the front end? I know I can just throw down the center stand to service stuff in the rear.

Thanks guys!
-John

· Registered
3,929 Posts
For the front forks, you need new fork seals and bushings, about $75. I redid mine about 3 years ago. New Race Tech springs with heavier rate? $109. Race Tech Emulators? $169.

Affect on the handling....AMAZING!!!

Any brake pad exept EBC organics. Im going with Vesrahs. Just ordered a set.

Chain and sprocket? I suggest EK 530 ZZZ for a chain. Lots of great sprockets out there, just make sure you get hard anodized.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the front forks, you need new fork seals and bushings, about $75. I redid mine about 3 years ago. New Race Tech springs with heavier rate? $109. Race Tech Emulators? $169.

Affect on the handling....AMAZING!!!

Any brake pad exept EBC organics. Im going with Vesrahs. Just ordered a set.

Chain and sprocket? I suggest EK 530 ZZZ for a chain. Lots of great sprockets out there, just make sure you get hard anodized.
Blaine, thanks for the response. What special tools do you need for the front forks? Also, how did you measure the oil, by volume or height and how?

· Registered
3,929 Posts
Blaine, thanks for the response. What special tools do you need for the front forks? Also, how did you measure the oil, by volume or height and how?
I had a shop do it, because it requires cutting up the stock fork adjusters. Dont worry, you will NEVER miss them.

Got a real good deal, cuz Im THAT type of guy, :smile but most shops are going to want $200 to do the deed. I took my forks off and took them in rather then have some snot nose kid touch my baby...

· Registered
34 Posts
Tools for doing front forks.

Well if you remember to loosen the lower allen bolts before removing the fork legs, you should be ok with just normal hand tools. If you have removed the forks, an air wrench is handy :smile

For lifting the front end there are several options:

1. put bike on center stand - put a wooden beam between ceiling and rear seat/grab rail to raise the front. - this is by far the cheapest option - works fine.
2. front lifter that hooks up on the steering stem bottom hole - leaves the forks/wheel free to work on/remove.
3. lift frame/bridge using winch working from ceiling hook - I havent tried this myself though so dont know how well this works...

Hope this helps a bit - cheers,:smile

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay, if it was between the Race Tech springs or the cartridge emulator, which would you go with first? I'm trying to do a little something while I reseal the forks, and I really dont want to dump 300 into the forks right now, as I have a few other cars to prep for the season right now. Next year is a different story and I'd like to finish the forks up with the remainder of upgrades at that time.

Also, I'm not sure when the last time the plugs were changed, so I figured it would be a good idea to throw some in. What do you guys recommend for plugs, and gap? Also, I have a Stage 1 jet kit in there, is there any way for me to tune these based on what the plugs look like?

EDIT: Also, is it common for our rear shocks to leak? The bike feels like a cadillac going over bumps. Also, what are recommended tire pressures? I usually run 36psi in the front and 40 in the rear.

· Registered
3,929 Posts
Well, once reconfigured you can drop in the emulators anytime. The ZX 11 front springs are notoriously undersprung, so depending on miles, I would go for the springs first

· Registered
3,929 Posts
What air gap?

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, I need a bit of assistance, I've got the forks open, and I can't seem to get the chrome tube out from the main housing, even going ape on the thing using it like a slide hammer isn't making the seal budge at all. When I get to the end of my travel, it feels like I hit a rubber piece, presumably the seal. Do I have to remove the hex on the bottom of the fork? Can anyone shed some light on this procedure?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.