Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just traded a guy some wheels for a 2001 zx6r
He said all it needed was a stator and carbs cleaned.
Well the carbs look good. Very good.

So I charged the battery, she fired right up.
I rode her around and notice the headlights were not on.
I fixed that problem, a loose wire from the r\r

My question is after a while of riding, about 3 to 4 minutes, i tried to gun it and it stuttered and refused to go, i eased off and she went.
It seems to want to run at idle for a while then once in a while it will die.
But she wants to die when i gun it. it kinda surges i guess.

Would this confirm a bad stator.
Just need some answers.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would say no not stator related...Sounds like a air leak on the ram air system/airbox or plugged pilot/mixture jets!
Easy to check stator with a volt meter to see what output its putting out anyway...I had a 99 6r drove me nuts with similiar problem..No dealer could sort it and in the end was just a kinked hose off one of the ram air intakes..I would clean every part of the carbs again and double check everything on refit and go from there...after checking stator output!

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
I would say no not stator related...Sounds like a air leak on the ram air system/airbox or plugged pilot/mixture jets!
Easy to check stator with a volt meter to see what output its putting out anyway...I had a 99 6r drove me nuts with similiar problem..No dealer could sort it and in the end was just a kinked hose off one of the ram air intakes..I would clean every part of the carbs again and double check everything on refit and go from there...after checking stator output!
+1

Was gonna reply but Mr.Spuddy's advice is spot on. Issue def sounds carb related as opposed to electrical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts