Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says basically..... wen im riding along it doesnt let me change up, or change down. sometimes it will work but then sometimes i will pull up at sum lights in 5th gear because it wont let me gear down

any help apriciated, Leigh:crazyloco

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats just like mine does.... but wen it lets me go out of 2nd... it will only stay in 3rd upwards.... but then it will drop from 6th right down into 1st without no problem like nothing is wrong with it??? i'd rather not fork out on repair bills

thanks, Leigh

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi mate sorry to here your having the same trouble as me, and at the momment i cant help you as the haynes manual has only just arrived.but dont panic:eek:hno there are things you can look at without engine removal and belive me im going to try everyone!!!!!!but having said that im looking at a 9r manual so things could be different on a 6 if you find out what it is mate let me know PLEASE!!!!!:clap and i will do the same for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your concern, i just bought myself a zx6r haynes manual and will be reading it carefully... but bein 18years old and not much mechanical experience, it should be fun :crackup

Leigh

·
Registered
10 Posts
well mate today i went into the garage armed with the haynes manual and made a start on stripping her down and found that it was not the gear box but gear change selector it had seized on the foot peg shaft i reckon that some grit had got and disslodged some corrosion and all i had to do was clean the afected areas and hey pessto job sorted :lol must have been doing it for a while and slowly gettig worse until it finaly gave up!!! its amazing what you get used to over a period of time. i hope this helps you out mate:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i got told it might be the selector because wen you press down on the lever it sometimes doesnt come back up, thanks for your help, very much apricated:cheers :respect

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
abit of WD40 and the bikes workin fine now :banghead
all you need to do is take the peg off and clean inside, lesson well learned:rolleyes

Leigh

P.S. i also learned what a ninja sounds like with a 'not for road use' can on it..... WOW, i can even get flames :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
mate to be honest i would stay away from wd40 yeah its ok for a quick fix and dont get me wrong i have used it on things like that before but it tends to dry out and its quite near to the engine so i always use copper grease. did your footpeg shaft have a groove cut around it like mine?if it did i reckon that that is a grease channel.and also the grease wont get washed out buy all that lovely wet weather we are going to get sooner or later. im pleased things were an easy fix for you mate aint it a good feeling when its cost ya feck all to sort!!!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Glad the fix was that easy.

If the gear change has been neglected it will pay to check all the other controls, cables & regular lube/grease items have been done. The rear suspension linkage is also something that's usually neglected + the replacement bushes cost a lot to replace for what they are.

A couple of hours dismantling, cleaning, greasing & oiling can make the bike feel a lot better to ride. When I got my 1100 the clutch lever was very heavy & giving a bit of TLC made it much lighter & smoother.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts