Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Had my A2 '12R since November. It stood for a number of year prior to my ownership. It's got an annoying symptom I hope you can help with. It's got 14k miles.

So when I leave it overnight I start her up, let her warm up until she runs choke off. Then select first and move off...then when I select 2nd gear she stalls. Restart and everything is fine and shifts normally. Will only do this immediately after she is started....

Any ideas? I believe the clutch is adjusted properly, changes gears very smoothly. Always that 1st in to second change....

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,025 Posts
Hi guys,

Had my A2 '12R since November. It stood for a number of year prior to my ownership. It's got an annoying symptom I hope you can help with. It's got 14k miles.

So when I leave it overnight I start her up, let her warm up until she runs choke off. Then select first and move off...then when I select 2nd gear she stalls. Restart and everything is fine and shifts normally. Will only do this immediately after she is started....

Any ideas? I believe the clutch is adjusted properly, changes gears very smoothly. Always that 1st in to second change....
Any aftermarket electronics?

· Registered
5,025 Posts
That's trippy. I wonder if the side stand switch is causing the issue

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a possibility I had been considering and easy to test. I'll bypass the sidestand switch and see if it does it again.

I noticed today that on startup I gave it a few stationary revs in neutral and it didn't happen. I'm wondering if where it stood for so long maybe the clutch plates are binding a little or not getting oiled enough?

· Registered
5,025 Posts
That's a possibility I had been considering and easy to test. I'll bypass the sidestand switch and see if it does it again.

I noticed today that on startup I gave it a few stationary revs in neutral and it didn't happen. I'm wondering if where it stood for so long maybe the clutch plates are binding a little or not getting oiled enough?
I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility. But, I think it should happen whenever the clutch is engaged/disengaged. Not being gear dependent.

· Registered
5,025 Posts
So. I've discovered how to make it not happen. From cold rev it up to 3 or 4k a couple of times and it has no issue whatsoever. So it must be oil related? Dry clutch?
Has the oil been changed recently?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has the oil been changed recently?
Hi, so at long last a really decent mechanic got to the bottom of all my issues. It was a knackered fuel injector sending the bike absolutely mental. Downside is that for a 2001 you can’t buy them individually like the later bikes, so it’s a whole throttle body, which is mega money if new. Ebay saved the day. Now she runs beautifully, purrs beautifully, idle is rock solid. Easily the smoothest bike I have ever ridden :D All of the gearbox issues gone, it was literally the bike stalling as soon as there was no throttle input during a gear change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts