Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my new ZX-6R this Saturday, and wondered if I could get a heads up as to the gears...

I am moving up from a 500R which is crazy weak in torque, and requires a lot of shifting on the low end.

i.e. 30mph in 1st and the bike is really humming... I guess I am wanting to know what the first few gears in a 6R are going to be like, and what their range is.

Thanks...

- DgreJ

·
Registered
275 Posts
well for the first 600 shifting at 4k is probably the most ideal for the break in

considering im still doing that I guess i cant give you a good idea of the gears. But the manual should cover that

·
Registered
94 Posts
shifting at 4 k will get you about 43 mph in 6th gear- good luck with a factory break in at that rate! Funny how all my kawi owners manuals have the same break in- whether the bike redlines at 5200 rpm or 16500 rpm.................

·
Registered
275 Posts
shifting at 4 k will get you about 43 mph in 6th gear- good luck with a factory break in at that rate! Funny how all my kawi owners manuals have the same break in- whether the bike redlines at 5200 rpm or 16500 rpm.................
per the dealer that it came from... he showed me the computer that graphs speed, mileage, and RPMs or over time. He told me if it shows abuse more than 8K in the first 600 miles it very likely kawasaki will not warranty the engine. And i said between 4k and 6k is ideal for the first 600

there are plenty of articles online that contradict what the dealer says but if i get a problem atleast i followed their instructions and my bike will get fixed

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will be picking up my new ZX-6R this Saturday, and wondered if I could get a heads up as to the gears...

I am moving up from a 500R which is crazy weak in torque, and requires a lot of shifting on the low end.

i.e. 30mph in 1st and the bike is really humming... I guess I am wanting to know what the first few gears in a 6R are going to be like, and what their range is.

Thanks...

- DgreJ
Being a high revving 600cc sports bike the 6R is hardly inundated with torque itself.

You will find your left foot getting plenty of exercise if you stick to the running in instructions. After that it depends how and where you ride.

The 6R has a close ratio gearbox with 1st being quite tall and capable of doing ~80mph so if you like to ride with plenty of revs it's not an issue to sit in 3rd or 4th and use some of the range (a strong point of the 6R compared to some 600 sports machines). If you like to keep the revs down a little and save fuel then you'll find yourself using the box a bit more and will need to change down a couple in order to perform anything approaching swift overtakes.

600 sports bikes require a bit of work and are quite 'busy' to ride if you want to get the best from them but that is part of the pleasure of riding them - they are real riders machines.

You will still find yourself making plenty of gear changes but not because it runs out of steam like the 500R does.

·
Registered
94 Posts
per the dealer that it came from... he showed me the computer that graphs speed, mileage, and RPMs or over time. He told me if it shows abuse more than 8K in the first 600 miles it very likely kawasaki will not warranty the engine. And i said between 4k and 6k is ideal for the first 600

there are plenty of articles online that contradict what the dealer says but if i get a problem atleast i followed their instructions and my bike will get fixed

I don`t doubt what you say in the least- and I would always try to follow the mans advice.- its his warranty that says it wont break if you don`t ride it. The fear of the log computer is real, but if you have a bad cam or other issue that is not related to abuse- you will still have a warantee. The point of my comment was simple though- 4k equates to a speed that makes the bike illegal to ride on the highway or interstate. All breakin miles limited to 4000 will be done under 45 mph in the city. This also means all break in will occur between 2000 and 4000 rpm which is a very narrow range to break a motor in at. Odds are also strong that the rev range will be constant most of the time as there is not a real good ability to vary engine speed when you have 2000 rpm to deal with.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don`t doubt what you say in the least- and I would always try to follow the mans advice.- its his warranty that says it wont break if you don`t ride it. The fear of the log computer is real, but if you have a bad cam or other issue that is not related to abuse- you will still have a warantee. The point of my comment was simple though- 4k equates to a speed that makes the bike illegal to ride on the highway or interstate. All breakin miles limited to 4000 will be done under 45 mph in the city. This also means all break in will occur between 2000 and 4000 rpm which is a very narrow range to break a motor in at. Odds are also strong that the rev range will be constant most of the time as there is not a real good ability to vary engine speed when you have 2000 rpm to deal with.
This 4k limit is a very important issue. I collected my bike from a dealer 80 miles from me and had to ride back home along a motorway (freeway). There's no way I could have stayed below 4k revs and been safe so I did what was necessary without thrashing the bike.

I have on a couple of occasions taken the bike to nearly 10k under acceleration away from junctions. Again for safety as I was pulling out into fast moving traffic. Each time I worked my way up the box pretty quick to get the revs down to something more acceptable.

I would like to see Kawasaki deny me a warranty claim because I choose safety over their instructions on occasions especially considering the dealer never even told me what the break-in instructions were. All I got (after signing the paperwork) was the keys and a 'take it easy on those new tyres in this weather' before I set off in the pouring rain.

Every other bike I've had has been 6k for the first 600 miles and then another 1k every 100 miles. That's how I've run them in anyway except my YZF750 which I redlined outside the dealers as soon as I picked it up and thrashed it everyday after. Turned out to be the most reliable bike I've ever owned so far with no mechanical / engine problems in 6 years of everyday riding :clap

·
Registered
275 Posts
This 4k limit is a very important issue. I collected my bike from a dealer 80 miles from me and had to ride back home along a motorway (freeway). There's no way I could have stayed below 4k revs and been safe so I did what was necessary without thrashing the bike.

I have on a couple of occasions taken the bike to nearly 10k under acceleration away from junctions. Again for safety as I was pulling out into fast moving traffic. Each time I worked my way up the box pretty quick to get the revs down to something more acceptable.

I would like to see Kawasaki deny me a warranty claim because I choose safety over their instructions on occasions especially considering the dealer never even told me what the break-in instructions were. All I got (after signing the paperwork) was the keys and a 'take it easy on those new tyres in this weather' before I set off in the pouring rain.

Every other bike I've had has been 6k for the first 600 miles and then another 1k every 100 miles. That's how I've run them in anyway except my YZF750 which I redlined outside the dealers as soon as I picked it up and thrashed it everyday after. Turned out to be the most reliable bike I've ever owned so far with no mechanical / engine problems in 6 years of everyday riding :clap
agreed. Everything i have read has said was thrashing it in the first 600 is the best thing to do. Ride it like you plan to ride it for the rest of its life. Ive tried to shift at 4k but didnt go over 7k. Its tough on the highway. 7k in 6th only gets you to 65ish

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think if they were denying warantees due to breaking the break in rule- we would be hearing about it. By the same token if i was kaw i would take a look at the computer and dissallow warantee if it was obviously raced the day of purchase- but then again racing is what would void the warantee, not the break in policy issue. Funny thin- my bud just got a harley nightster- bad ass bike in its own relm- yup he was told to break it in at 4k! I do feel it is crazy for kaw to have the same break in for its whole line- esp when that speed makes the bike unsafe and illegal to operate on many roads. Maybe someone getting squashed on the interstate and the resultant lawsuit will change some thinking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I broke in my bike according to the factory recomendation and wow it was tuff sticking to it. Yes occasionaly i had to get up and out of the way of some Cager. but other than that i just rode it around town allot and put some miles on her. I now have about 1300 and its great!!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think if they were denying warantees due to breaking the break in rule- we would be hearing about it. By the same token if i was kaw i would take a look at the computer and dissallow warantee if it was obviously raced the day of purchase- but then again racing is what would void the warantee, not the break in policy issue. Funny thin- my bud just got a harley nightster- bad ass bike in its own relm- yup he was told to break it in at 4k! I do feel it is crazy for kaw to have the same break in for its whole line- esp when that speed makes the bike unsafe and illegal to operate on many roads. Maybe someone getting squashed on the interstate and the resultant lawsuit will change some thinking.
you can obviously do more then 4k. I havent rode much on the highway tho. I try to shift 1st - 5th at 4k and only do 4K and above in 6th if i have to keep up the proper speed. Im certainly didnt stop at 4k in 6th doing 45 in a 65mph zone.

this is how i see it

1st 4000rpm - 6000rpm
2nd 4000rpm - 6000rpm
3rd 4000rpm - 6000rpm
4th 4000rpm - 6000rpm
5th 4000rpm - 6000rpm
6th 4000rpm - 8000rpm

thats pretty much how he explain it to me. right now i dont have a need to break 70-75 so 8k in 6th is good enough for the next month or so

thats not too difficult but still very hard to adhere to. Again I havent even broken 100 miles. I just picked it up saturday and today was my time out on the bike. Fortunately i only have my permit so i havent been taking it to school and work

·
Registered
94 Posts
According to the manual its under 4k first 500 miles and then under 6 k for the next 500 miles. Your numbers are reasonable and pretty much what I am doing also. I don`t remember what I did on the zx9- but it had enough power it didn`t matter as much. I have had mine a week so i only have a couple hundred miles on it- but its all been 25 miles a day. Gonna change oil this weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I pick mine up Saturday... I have a roughly 250 Mile Drive from the Dealership to my house. I plan to take just backwoods roads and highways (top speed 55-60) home.

Had another question for people... Will a full fairing and the riding position of the zx-6r make interstate travel any easier...

I know with the 500R its doable, but it feels like I am being blown all over the place.

Thanks in advance...

- DgreJ

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well I pick mine up Saturday... I have a roughly 250 Mile Drive from the Dealership to my house. I plan to take just backwoods roads and highways (top speed 55-60) home.

Had another question for people... Will a full fairing and the riding position of the zx-6r make interstate travel any easier...

I know with the 500R its doable, but it feels like I am being blown all over the place.

Thanks in advance...

- DgreJ
When you run a bike in, its almost how you like to shag. People have different ideas and opinions on it. Just dont be hard on the gas and just turn the twist grip very slowley and smoothly.

Regarding the wind and beeing blown around, i find that the naked bikes are batter to ride when the wind is from the side as the lack of fairing lets the air go through but from the front, the full fairing is better.

Thats my opinion:tard

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just loaded with crazy questions today...

HP wise I know this bike would eat the 500 for breakfast... Are there some things I should watch out for.

Can the bike wheelie in 1st / 2nd gear with a full throttle, etc... etc...?

Any advice for someone who hasn't had the opportunity to ride a sport bike more powerful than a 500r would be much appreciated.

Thanks

- DgreJ

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm just loaded with crazy questions today...

HP wise I know this bike would eat the 500 for breakfast... Are there some things I should watch out for.

Can the bike wheelie in 1st / 2nd gear with a full throttle, etc... etc...?

Any advice for someone who hasn't had the opportunity to ride a sport bike more powerful than a 500r would be much appreciated.

Thanks

- DgreJ

You can flip it over in first and second to :evil. My man, you can wheelie a 50cc bike, even a scooter. So i think the answer there is yes you can wheelie.

Watch out for parked cars and sudden stops.

They always say, speed kills. Bull sh1t. Its the sudden stop that kills:crazyloco

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Front Brakes...

Now normally I very rarely use much of any break other than real slow speeds in 1st gear to come to a complete stop, but i'm told the front break on the zx-6r is much more powerful... Something to look out for?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Front Brakes...

Now normally I very rarely use much of any break other than real slow speeds in 1st gear to come to a complete stop, but i'm told the front break on the zx-6r is much more powerful... Something to look out for?
If you grab a handful of brake on any sport bike your going to go over so the best thing to do is feel it and dont jab on it. If you have to much dip on the front forks or not enough dip on the forks and the rear is to tight, then you will also get endos.

The only brakes that you have to watch out for on STD bikes are Brembo monoblock (Ducati) calipers which bite harder than dracula. Man, those things can take your shoulders off your body.

No manufacturer will make a brake set up that intentionally causes an endo so they are great but not gut wrenching

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well hey, thanks for all your responses whokilledkenny, I very much appreciate it.

Hopefully I will make it home in one peice and post some pics of my new toy.

woot woot... Saturday can't come quick enough...

- DgreJ

·
Registered
379 Posts
You will be great on the machine. Dont worry about things to much and just listen to the bike. The only mechanical thing i can think of that i have heard about is that there have been a few new 6's that have had motors popping because of bad valves but apparently the motor makes a big enough noise that you will know something is wrong.

Goos luck with it and have fun. Always remember, there are two types of riders, ones that have fallen and ones that will fall. Dress for the fall and not the ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts