Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad noticed my gauge lights were on and i started the bike to charge the battery. I turned the key to off and it still ran so i hit the kill switch. I went to start it again and it wouldnt fire. Cranked fine but wouldnt start. I got a new cdi box but havent got to try it and dont really think thats it.
I started the bike earlier that day with a battery jumper pack because i left my key on and killed it that way. My dad thinks that blew something, he thinks its the box close to the cdi which i found out is the turn signal rectifier. Help please???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Sounds like your ignition switch is shot..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I agree with Christi, although there is also a possibility that there could be relay that is stuck closed. I'm not sure if your bike has relay that is energized to supply power to the ignition system or if it is supplied with power directly through the key switch.

I am scratching my head regarding your statement concerning some part on your bike that is supposed to be the "turn signal rectifier" though. I have never heard of a "turn signal rectifier." A rectifier is a device that uses diodes to convert AC or Alternating Current to DC or Direct Current. Since your electrical system gets it's power from a battery it is DC. I find it rather unlikely that it employs a rectifier that only supplies power the turn signals. On the offhand possibility that some smart ass on here is feeling particularly argumentative today and wants to split hairs regarding the generation of electricity on a bike just to dispute my claim that there is no AC on a bike I will add the following. Ok yes, technically AC is what the alternator produces but then it is passed through the rectifier and is converted to DC before it enters into the electrical system.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seen it on ebay as a turn signal/brake rectifier so thats what i called it. I wasnt sure on the switch because the tail light still turns on and off with the key and will only crank if its turned on.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I seen it on ebay as a turn signal/brake rectifier so thats what i called it. I wasnt sure on the switch because the tail light still turns on and off with the key and will only crank if its turned on.

THat rules out the ignition switch as being the problem. Sounds like there is a relay that supplies power to your ignition system that is now welded in the closed position.

And apparently they are calling it a rectifier because it is there to prevent the brake light from feeding into the turn signal circuit and/or vice versa. do your turn signals on the rear light up along with your taillight when you apply your brakes, just curious now...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turn signals work wired up horridly, but they only come on if i activate it. Im lost on the electrical stuff, cab someone post pics of whats what?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I retract my last statement, the bike.cranks with the key out, but the tail light activates buy key and strangly the headlight comes on without starting it? Cdi wasnt the problem, as i finally got to.check it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i checked the spark with the key off(bc it still cranks) and it wouldnt spark. Then i checked with the key on and it sparked. Then i took the key out and the gauges turned off then turned back on about 5 seconds later. Tried with the key on again amd no spark this time...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts