Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my gtr14 has recently developed water in the oil, does anyone know roughly how much a dealer will charge to replace the gasket. It's a 2010 bike.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
There are a few test's to be carried out prior to a Head Gasket replacement in case that route is in error.
But as you've given no other info I'll have a loose shot at it ;)
I've just done one on a Fazer which cost the customer £885 but I'm not a Kawasaki Dealer (Used to work for a couple :D)
14.5 hrs Labour charged.
So your Bike is a tad bigger on the Clothes side so we can up the Labour to say 16hrs at Dealer rates probably around £60 inc vat totals £960 plus parts.
I reckon you'd be in for a hiding around £1500 and any additional on top for Example if the Head needs skimming due to warpage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
There are a few test's to be carried out prior to a Head Gasket replacement in case that route is in error.
But as you've given no other info I'll have a loose shot at it ;)
I've just done one on a Fazer which cost the customer £885 but I'm not a Kawasaki Dealer (Used to work for a couple :D)
14.5 hrs Labour charged.
So your Bike is a tad bigger on the Clothes side so we can up the Labour to say 16hrs at Dealer rates probably around £60 inc vat totals £960 plus parts.
I reckon you'd be in for a hiding around £1500 and any additional on top for Example if the Head needs skimming due to warpage.
Thanks, it's got a white build up on the inside of the view glass, so I'm assuming it's an oil leak. I'll dip something in the filler and see how gooey it is. Oh well, easy come, easy go :LOL:

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's not uncommon to get a white'ish build up on the inside of the sight Glass from a build up of condensation inside the Engine that doesn't get burnt off.
Often this occurs in the winter when the Motorcycle only gets short runs and doesn't get hot enough for long enough to prevent this from happening.
I've found changing the Engine oil to Silkolene Comp 4 10/40 Semi Synthetic seems to help in this regard.
As I said above a few tests before tearing into her are required, A simple Sniff (No not smell it lol there's a kit to do this) test for combustion Gases in the coolant will give an indication of trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not uncommon to get a white'ish build up on the inside of the sight Glass from a build up of condensation inside the Engine that doesn't get burnt off.
Often this occurs in the winter when the Motorcycle only gets short runs and doesn't get hot enough for long enough to prevent this from happening.
I've found changing the Engine oil to Silkolene Comp 4 10/40 Semi Synthetic seems to help in this regard.
As I said above a few tests before tearing into her are required, A simple Sniff (No not smell it lol there's a kit to do this) test for combustion Gases in the coolant will give an indication of trouble.
Lol, read that last bit just in time, I'll take it for a longer run tonight to see if that helps. Thanks again for replying, I do appreciate your comments/ideas.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bare in mind that the Oil has already been contaminated with Water so you might not see any benefit without changing the Oil and Filter first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bare in mind that the Oil has already been contaminated with Water so you might not see any benefit without changing the Oil and Filter first.
Quite right, but if going to all the trouble of changing the gaskets then I would give her a new filter and oil, I think the hardest part of the job is removing all those b####y fairings! Makes my Triumph look so simple!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quite right, but if going to all the trouble of changing the gaskets then I would give her a new filter and oil, I think the hardest part of the job is removing all those b####y fairings! Makes my Triumph look so simple!
Oh I see what you mean, yes I'll change the oil and filter after a few long runs and see if that cures it first. Good thinking, thanks

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
Could be a leaking coolant pump seal rather than a head gasket. My buddy put 100,000 trouble-free miles on his C-14 and then gave it to his son, who's still riding it. Never heard of a non-turboed ZX- or C-14 blowing a head gasket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I see what you mean, yes I'll change the oil and filter after a few long runs and see if that cures it first. Good thinking, thanks
Ok, we'll I had a nice 20mile detour hone through the lanes off Surrey, and ask tithe misting has gone, I think lock down has limited my long rides, so thanks for the advice guys.
Could be a leaking coolant pump seal rather than a head gasket. My buddy put 100,000 trouble-free miles on his C-14 and then gave it to his son, who's still riding it. Never heard of a non-turboed ZX- or C-14 blowing a head gasket.
That's good to know, I was a bit annoyed when I thought it had blown, but it does seem like it only needed a proper run. My commute is only 12 miles along country roads, so I'll extend it to 20, any excuse is good.

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
Keep an eye on the coolant and oil levels. Any transfer should show up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts