Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys got another problem with the bike now :(

ok so a week ago .. I realized something in the tank was broken and therefore kept leaking gas through the overflow pipe... so I basically just plugged it.

Now there is a hole under the gas cap which is probably for overflow as well (not sure) or something because gas is now coming out of there. There is a picture below

Can I just simply plug this hole too? would it cause a problem? if so how can I plug it?

Because of the gas leaking from the gas cap.. I have gas stains running down the gas tank on the left side. Anyway to get rid of those?

thanks for the help!

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
First off I wouldn't be plugging any holes in my fuel tank if for venting and overflow. I would take some kind of wire and run it through the vents and make sure they aren't clogged.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

The plugging was actually a motorcycle mechanics idea. How would i go on about running a wire through the vent. Do you mean through the overflow pipe into the tank? Can this solve the problem of it leaking?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you plug the vents what you have created is a bomb on top of a dangerous heat source and it is all right between your legs. Tanks need to breathe. Chances are there is nothing broken inside your tank but more than likely it is the vent in your gas cap that is clogged. When the fuel heats up with either riding or just normal temperature changes it expands creating pressure in the tank. If the pressure can't bleed off it will push gas past the seal and out the overflow hose. When you blocked the overflow hose then the gas had to go somewhere and is now running down your tank.
Clean your cap vents. You may have to take it apart to get it really clean but be careful if you do. There are several small springs and check balls that can get lost very quickly. If that is not the problem then adding some insulation to the bottom of the tank may help keep some heat out of the fuel and you may want to keep the fuel level a little lower.

P.S. Get a new mechanic :)

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
And just to add to the fun, I know when my fuel level gets low it will actually start to boil in the tank. Thank god I have good vents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts