Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

New here; just got a 2007 14.

Before the first ride I changed the oil to Quaker State 20-50.

Put the first 20 miles following motoman's break-in procedure and when I got home things seemed great. Oil in the reservoir smelled like oil, almost no soot in the pipes, pipes had no burnt oil smell. Next day changed the oil/filter (QS 20-50, Kaw stock filter).

Did my second ride (55 miles) basically following the owner’s manual recommendation (no strong pulls, RPMs < 5000). When I got home, no burnt oil smell and almost no soot in the pipes but the oil reservoir had a strong gas smell. Per recommendations I found on the web, I changed the oil/filter (QS 20-50, Kaw stock filter) the next day.

Took the next ride today (40 miles), again following the owner’s manual recommendation. About half way though the ride, I pulled over and smelled the oil reservoir and it smelled like oil. Finished the ride and when I got home again no burnt oil smell and almost no soot in the pipes but the oil reservoir had a strong gas smell.

Does anyone know if this is normal or did something bad happen on my second ride? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Theres fuel blow-by on rings and valve stems. More blow-by during break-in period. Less blow-by as the parts mesh and settle. Then blow-by increases again during excessive wear.
There's emission appendages on the valve cover and crankcase breather. Both return blow-by gas fumes to the intake system.
It's normal there's blow-by, especially during break-in on a new engine.
Engine oil gets most dirt from gas and carbon from the cylinders. The Air filter mostly fouled by gas and oil vapor from the crankcase breather.
Heh engine is a mesy place :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bronto! I was really bummin... Called three Kaw service centers, none of them "thought" it was a problem but couldn't explain why.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I generally smell stuff before I eat it :->

Seriously, never did before, but was reading various web sites regarding break-in procedures and one suggested that the tail pipes and oil be sniffed/examined to determine if there is excessive blow-by, oil burning, metal burning, etc. Sorta made sense, I just didn’t have a point of reference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts