Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking on some insight in this problem. My 97 zx7 looses power and shuts off and wont start back up as if I would run out of gas.

This has happened before and I gave the bike to a at home race mechanic and he cleaned out some things, not sure exactly what he did. What I do remember is he said gas tank is super clean and the carbs and jets were clean.

So bike ran fine for the next 200 miles until same thing. Died on me 25 miles away from home.

Lets just say that was an adventure that night. Everything that possibly can go wrong will go wrong. If you want a good laugh read ahead or skip to the next paragraph: Phone dieing, accidently left the key in the trunk keyhole and it fell out as i was pushing the bike down the highway in the middle of the night- spent a good hour retracing my steps to find it, towtruck ripping a piece of metal off my bike, someone blocking my garage by parking in front of it. It was not my day. :banghead:banghead:banghead

I do sometimes notice a weird action that i feel/hear in my gas tank. It would be like a suction pluck sound or like a shoot out. I know these are opposites, but its really hard to explain. Its something that I can feel on my leg when its against the tank. It does this once in a very while. This may be the cause?

Bad fuel pump? Bad fuel line?

Waiting for a call back from the mechanic, maybe someone on the forums knows better whats up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oK so I opened the gascap for a bit. Closed it up, and the girl started! Now I wish I tried to start it before I did that as it may be coincidence? Or is it the root of the problem? To prevent it I need a new cap or should I just vent it 2x a day?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Petcock filters could be off the petcock in the tank.
Possible shine a light in the tank and see if you see both the tube filters

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldnt see anything really in the tank. Whereabouts in the tank should I be looking towards?
And it turns out it wasnt the gas cap. As it wouldnt start yesterday. Started pushing it home through a hilly area. Got kind of exhausted, prayed super hard, tried to start it, and it started. What gives??

·
Registered
967 Posts
oK so I opened the gascap for a bit. Closed it up, and the girl started! Now I wish I tried to start it before I did that as it may be coincidence? Or is it the root of the problem? To prevent it I need a new cap or should I just vent it 2x a day?
Take apart gas cap clean check ball . It starts after a while because there is some air getting through. Not enough to keep up with whats being used while running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts