Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've had the 12 for a few weeks and I've gone through a few tanks in it, I've noticed that I'm only getting 85-90 miles per tank of fuel. About 16.3 mpg. Anybody experiencing the same thing or know what some common causes for motorcycles (especially the 12) to have such poor fuel mileage?

·
Registered
95 Posts
On the avg I'm getting 140 a tank. But I'm doing a run from Vogelweh Germany to Bitche France this afternoon and I'll report the miliage upon my return.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I know the cause of the poor fuel mileage. Its the heavy weight attached to your right wrist. If you remove the weight the throttle will return to a less than wide open position and your gas mileage will improve.
T

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I've never opened her up since I've had it. Still scares the holy bajeezus out of me! Haven't even had it over 80 yet. Right now since I reset my trip last I filled up, I'm at half a tank on the gauge and only have 45 miles to how for it on the trip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what the hell is wrong with mine? Sounds like it may be time to seek out my mechanic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, it has a PCIIIR on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you could just be running a bit rich, to get only 85-90. I average 120-150 (PC USB with muzzy map) depending on how I'm riding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm going to have my guy check it out for me. That would suck to have to fill it up every 80 miles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry for getting back to you guys so late, but I just did the Bitche, France run yesterday. I did a complete fill up becore I left Vogelweh. I was riding hard in the twisty bits, and for the more scenic roads i was crusing along at 60mph or so. I finally stopped for gas when she was reading 125 miles. I was down to the last fuel bar which wasn't blinking so I figure I could of went another 25 miles or so which would put me at 150. If I had cruised the entire way I'm sure I could of seen close to 180.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Those are some beatiful looking roads, ninjadad66. The roads here in central Florida are mostly flat and straight, good for straight line speed but not for carving corners. I have had my 05 12R now for almost 2 years and I average 29 miles to the gallon. The best I've gotten was 32 when cruising with a bunch of Harley guys and the worst I've gotten was 26, when running with my crotch rocket buddies. My bike is stock, except for 17 tooth crank sprocket and removed catalytic converter. When my last fuel bar starts blinking, I can still go almost 35 miles before fillup, and I've never actually run out of gas.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for all kudos everyone. Well if you liked the pics, here are a few more from my little ride yesterday heading towards the Mosel river. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
^^ Those pics are absolutley great! Appreciate you sharing.
Re: mileage on the 12 When I first got it (all stock) I ran it 178 miles sputtered right into the fuel station. Now with PC3 full Yosh and a moderatley heavy wrist I get about 120 per tank? Somewhere in there anyways, as soon as it starts blinking though I fill her up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man I miss Germany!!!!!!!!!
Most beautiful countryside in the world IMO

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey all. This is my first post so hello to all.

I am getting 32-34 mpg with my A1 with PC3R, full Arata, Bmc race, 17/46 gearing. Bike was custom mapped by Ryan Schnitz and got 28-30 mpg before tuning. The map really helped out. What map are you running Shake?

PS: Beautiful pics Ninjadad.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.