Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 GPZ1100 that I bought a couple weeks ago. It had a hole in the oil pan which I fixed by replacing the pan. It runs really well but when you first start it up you have to rev it a couple times or itll die. After the first couple revs it'll idle fine. The problem I am having though is that I discovered fuel in my crankcase oil. The petcock seemed to be letting fuel flow slowly while the bike was off so I bought a rebuild kit. In order for the fuel to get into the case the carbs would also have to be messed up correct? I plan on tearing into the carbs and cleaning them out but I wanted to ask the guys here on the forum what they think? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yep check the float levels and the needle valves and seats.

cheers

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
+1

There's probably crud around the valve seats in the carbs or the seal is shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm going to remove the carbs today and clean them out real good. I will also check/set float levels. Anyone know where I can get the needle valve and seat if I have to replace them? Bikebandit wants $30 for the needle :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the carbs apart and they looked very clean. I did run a piece of wire through the jets and fuel inlet just to make sure everything was clear. The needle valves looked good too. I reassembled everything except the airbox. There is no way I am attempting to put that airbox back on and hook up those rubber boots. Anyone know where and what size pods I should get?

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Were the pilot jets included in that lil wire scenario??

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
if you deep six the air box and go to pods you will need to re jet the carbs . My 2 c would be to keep the air box.
If the point of the needle(needle and seat) is metal youre chances of cleaning them to get a good seal are good........and yeah, while youre in there clean all the small orifices in the pilot jets.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Keep the airbox.

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cleaned everything out good and put back together. I didn't install the airbox though as I thought it'd be better just to go with pods. Why is everyone against getting pod filters? I can install the airbox if I should.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I think alot of people are thinking ZX not GPZ. The ZXs with ram air will definately run different without the airbox (some say they can't get theirs to idle etc, but I've had no problems with that) and need jetting. The GPZ doesn't have ram air and would probably be fine with pods. They put those on KZs pretty often, similar setup I think.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For a street bike that gets riden daily your much better off keeping the airbox. Better driveability, smoother drive. If you go with pods you WILL have to jet it to get it to run half decent, but it will never be as good as with the airbox.

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
I think alot of people are thinking ZX not GPZ. The ZXs with ram air will definately run different without the airbox (some say they can't get theirs to idle etc, but I've had no problems with that) and need jetting. The GPZ doesn't have ram air and would probably be fine with pods. They put those on KZs pretty often, similar setup I think.
yep had pods on my KZ1000 43mm Mikuni carbs, I think the intake was 64mm?
went like a bat outa hell.... ran out of fuel real quick:lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will stick with the airbox then. I'm just not sure what the easiest way is to get it all back in there. What's the easiest way to get the airbox hooked back up to the carbs?

·
Registered
972 Posts
You need this O-ring for the petcock 92055-1649. I use a dental pick to work the boots around the back of the carbs and the springs that clamp them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
putting the airbox back on the gpz is no fun, and a real deterrent to messing with the carbs. Last time i ended up spraying wd-40 on the boots and had to wedge a piece of wood/ use a lever to push the airbox forward in the frame onto the carbs, it seems to want to sit too far back without on its own.

Time cleaning carbs once off the bike- 30 minutes, time getting the GD zx1100e airbox back on- over an hour last time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a good point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts