Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the first posting on this site with nothing to do with the Gtr ? Oh well here goes ! I recently put out a posting for a gps for my bike and most suggested the Tom tom rider or the Garmin zumo 550.
They do seem to be the best but I don'y need bluetooth or the phone capability.I have no found out that the older Garmin street pilot 3 is also waterproof and could be used easily on the bike and would cost me about £100 to buy one. Alot cheaper I'm sure you will agree.
Where can I get a ram mount and a cradle to hold it on the bike though ? I have searched the net and cannot find anything. Are there any other Garmin products that will hold this unit on the bike and is it easy to put on European maps as this is probably the only time I use it when touring abroad ? Is this unit easy to use,any experience anyone ? your help or other suggestions would be very much appreciated.:headscratch

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use a street pilot III. And I have no need at this time for bluetooth or phone either. It works fine for me, was a lifesaver on my 2000mi trip. I dont have mine on a ram mount though... cant help you there.. I have mine mounted in a pocket at the rear of my rapid transit tank bag.... I paid $269 US for it.. I'll use this until I would need more features.. which looks like a long time..

You say they are weatherproof? my tank bag raincover has a full clear panel on the top.. I can still see it well when the raincover is on.. just cant do the touch screen too easily with it on.. I can when stopped.

The street pilot III has alot of nice features for that kind of money.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
street pilot 3

Hi Jerry, thanks for the info. I buy alot of stuff from ebay and I know I would be taking a chance on something like this but so far so good. I have found from various websites that the Street pilot 3 is waterproof on it's own and is for car or bike which is what got my attention. The other option is a Garmin Quest but I think the screen is too small. How easy is the Street pilot to use though ? Say I wanted plan some routes from Uk to Spain. Would I need to find a P.C to download maps half way there ? Karl.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Karl,

Not really sure about Europe, you'd have to check with Garmin on that... But the whole USA is loaded on my street pilot III ..

Jerry

·
Registered
164 Posts
Karl,

I have used the next model up from the SP111 for a few years now and it really is a bulletproof peice of kit, its the street pilot 2610.

If you can find one at the right price they are faster, a bit smaller, use cheaper CF memory cards and ram and garmin still do cradles for them as they use the same "body" as the newer 27xx models I think, and the mapping CD's are fully unlocked with the 2610, but just one detailed area on the SP111.

I can get the whole of western Europe onto a 1 gig CF card

You can compare the two models from here.

http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/compare.jsp

Stu..

Edit....
Fleabay is showing at least 3 x 2610's in the uk and also the motorcycle power lead and RAM cradle are showing up , searched for Garmin 2610..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts