Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My fuel sending unit isn't working. I'm going to guess cuz it's been sitting 7 years, hehe. I wonder if I can just remove and clean. Maybe floats are bad then need new one or maybe it's frozen from the bad gas that was in it. Or maybe it will work itself better after I use it over time.

Edit:

Is there a replacement float if the unit is fine, but the float is gas logged?

·
Registered
135 Posts
You may be able to pull the sending unit out and work the float lever back and forth if it's stuck. You should be able to plug it into the wiring harness while you change float position and see if it is registering properly. Some carb cleaner may help. It's been my experience though, that once they crap out on you, they are hard to revive. You may be able to find a replacement, ebay has one listed for about $73.00 right now for your '01 zx6, part number 52005-1105. Gasket is about $15.00 on ebay, p/n 11060-1337. If you do need to replace the float, you may want to check the condition of the gasket and replace it at the same time if it's starting to crack. Also, once a bike sits that long, you may be facing some tank corrosion/rust issues, too. Not sure about hearing the fuel pump running, though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WeBeNinjammin. So if the gasket isn't cracked I wonder if I can re-use it. I would like to take the take off now and do it, but I don't want to make a leak situation. There was spots in the tank from it sitting and it is rust I'm pretty sure. Am I able to buy just a float? I'll do a search. I was able to figure out the pump, it works perfect and the trick with putting in gear and pressing start is awesome. Never have to crank the engine just to pump the gas if you ever run dry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts