Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
@yorkie , Hi, hope all's been well. I've got a couple questions if you don't mind........

(1) What do you mean by, "If the ECU is not switched ON then you would not get a spark anyway. So you need to make sure the ECU is switching on."? What do you mean by that? What does that mean, "You need to make sure the ECU is switched on?" How would it have got turned off? I thought the RUN/OFF Switch + Key Turned on, well, I thought that's what turns it 'On'. I sure didn't turn it off, well with the exception of the 'OFF' Switch along with turning the key 'OFF'.

I don't recall off the top of your head, but my issue began with the battery going dead. And I'm not 100% positive, but I do believe there'd been a VERY HARD Rain here that day, while I was in one of the stores. It rained REALLY HARD for about 30 minutes or so. Afterwards, I go to another store. Then I don't know, maybe an hour later I start it, go to Popeye's Chicken, the after riding over there (maybe 300 yards), I come back out and the battery is dead. I end up taking an Uber to ChinaMart (aka WalMart) and got one of their batteries because nothing else was open, and getting a Yuasa at the time wasn't possible). I hook it up, then drive maybe 2 miles or so home.

The next day, I drive 13 miles, non-stop, with no problems at all during that 13 mile trip. I was only at the place I rode to for about 10 minutes or so. I walk back to my bike, and battery's turning very slowly as if near dead (doesn't start).

I wait about an hour and it starts as if it's a brand new battery, and I make the 13 mile non-stop ride back home.

Upon pulling in my driveway, I'don't noticed the Gauge Cluster was completely out (dark as can be). I knew the battery was dead at that point, so being how I was home then, it didn't matter much as I figured it'd start back up next time, later on, when I needed to go somewhere. Wellseveral hours later, it didn't start back up like I thought it would. So I thought maybe it was the voltage regulator rectifier.That unfortunatelydidn't help at all. IT wasn't priming at all. I sent it to a new local mechanic who said he could fix anything, and unfortunately he couldn't fix it, but did say it wasn't getting any spark. He said I need to get that one part above, the Ignition Timing Sensor Pickup Magnet. So, I found one, bought it, he put it on and it didn't help at all. Not one bit.

He's a one man show, with about 8 bikes in his garage. Maybe he could've fixed it, I don't know, but he'd spend an hour or two onone bike then jump to the other (which I personally think is stupid. Anyways, I just had it towed back home.

(2) In regards to your previous statement of, "Normally when you get no spark but the engine turns over its the CAM POSITION SENSOR which you can see through the open part of the side fairing by number 1 exhaust header.", is that CAM POSITIONSENSOR the same thing as what I'd bought, the 'Ignition Timing Sensor Pickup Magnet?" Also, would the CAM POSITION SENSOR, if different than the part I'd bought, would that have any effect on the non-priming issue.

I Pray to God you can help me figure this out because I really can't afford anymore tows, along with the $80/hr. fees, which ends up always being inflated by an hour or two. Thank you very much @yorkie !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having read this from front to back I've decided to jump in see if I can shed some light.
By ECU not switched on Yorkie means something is preventing the ECU from powering on ie a faulty component, Nothing you have physically switched off.

First question, Do you know how to get your Bike into Dealer Mode 1 & 2 ?
I want you to get the Bike into Dealer Mode to see if there's any Fi codes present that might put a stop to blindly guessing what the fault may be, If there's no Code/s present then we can start methodical diagnosis.

If the sensor is Faulty Delaer Mode will throw up Code 23.

Below is the Cam Position Sensor (CPS) Arrowed in Black and can be seen through the Fairing opening on the left hand side.

Bike in for some work but you can clearly see the CPS Red Arrow.

What one looks like out of the Bike.

What one looks like on the parts diagram.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts