Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall, I have a 2001 zx6r with a bolt on gp race muffler from pipe werx and a k&n air filter. Ive drilled out the screws for the fuel mixture and have them set to 3 turn out. ive balanced the carbs but it seems to be running a little rich. Was just wondering what anyone else has theirs set at? Also with the bolt on exhaust, what carb settings work best? is the factory pro carb kit a good idea? Thanks.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,781 Posts
hey yall, I have a 2001 zx6r with a bolt on gp race muffler from pipe werx and a k&n air filter. Ive drilled out the screws for the fuel mixture and have them set to 3 turn out. ive balanced the carbs but it seems to be running a little rich. Was just wondering what anyone else has theirs set at? Also with the bolt on exhaust, what carb settings work best? is the factory pro carb kit a good idea? Thanks.
Yes on factory pro jet kit. Idle fuel mixture screw should be set to where the bike will start easily when hot without choke. Also, it should start easily when cold with choke. I'm in FL. So, somewhere between 2 turns and 2.5 turns out works here

Reactions: shimslady

·
Registered
87 Posts
Base setting for any fuel mixture screw will be 2.5 turns out. Rich will only help with starting and if ur going to whack the throttle at idle. Generally its just wasting fuel and fouling plugs tho. Make sure it idles right and it returns to idle correctly. Doesnt hang up when u close throttle. Generally a jet kit will make things run richer. But more responsively. Helps get the California out of ur bike so it can behave correctly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 turns out seems a bit rich. What were they at originally?
originally they were all at different heights. turned them all in and then backed out from there 3 turns because it felt good with the throttle and choke. starts up great even when cold but i seem to get a stumble around 9 or 10k rpm in first gear only but it always pulls through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Base setting for any fuel mixture screw will be 2.5 turns out. Rich will only help with starting and if ur going to whack the throttle at idle. Generally its just wasting fuel and fouling plugs tho. Make sure it idles right and it returns to idle correctly. Doesnt hang up when u close throttle. Generally a jet kit will make things run richer. But more responsively. Helps get the California out of ur bike so it can behave correctly
Im up in CT, not sure if that makes a difference. I put them 3 turns out because it felt good with the throttle and choke. It starts up good when cold but ive noticed a stumble or lag around 9k or 10k rpm in first gear.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Im up in CT, not sure if that makes a difference. I put them 3 turns out because it felt good with the throttle and choke. It starts up good when cold but ive noticed a stumble or lag around 9k or 10k rpm in first gear.
That's either going to be your needle height or main jet. Possibly a vacuum issue

Reactions: shimslady

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's either going to be your needle height or main jet. Possibly a vacuum issue
I originally had this issue about a year ago but in all gears at a high rpm and it was very laggy. I took the carbs out and realized one of the main jets was completely unscrewed inside of the carb. I cleaned/reassembled and it seemed to take care of the problem. Until now i notice it again but only first gear. Also did a vac leak check, sprayed starter fluid in near the boots and everything seemed fine no rise in rpm. I will re check for a vac leak and then take the carbs out and see whats up. For needle height, ive never played with them but i have shims. What would you suggest if anything for that? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I originally had this issue about a year ago but in all gears at a high rpm and it was very laggy. I took the carbs out and realized one of the main jets was completely unscrewed inside of the carb. I cleaned/reassembled and it seemed to take care of the problem. Until now i notice it again but only first gear. Also did a vac leak check, sprayed starter fluid in near the boots and everything seemed fine no rise in rpm. I will re check for a vac leak and then take the carbs out and see whats up. For needle height, ive never played with them but i have shims. What would you suggest if anything for that? Thanks for your input!
Double check your ram air ducting first. Look for any possible vacuum leaks there. If that passes inspection, then look into your carbs. Make sure the bowls are properly vented to the airbox. Inspect the carb slide diaphragm. If they look worn, I would replace the slides. If they look fine, then leave them be. You then could try either a smaller or larger main jet. It's either getting too much fuel or not enough fuel. A sudden bog at those RPMs and 1st gear makes me think it's too rich. If it's a gradually power loss, then I would think too lean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok my apologies for the pause between posts. The ram air seems to be fine and I still had no signs of vac leak when spraying starter fluid around box and boots while running. The only thing I found was a slightly cracked rubber insulated tube only at the end that connected to the air box. Not sure if this is affecting anything. Also, it's definitely a sudden bog at about 8k in first gear and pulls thru at about 10k or so. I currently have the carbs removed and ready to remove jets clean and reassemble. What combo of main jets should I use? The kit comes with 2 of ea. 160,162.5and 165 sizes. Any help would be appreciated thank you all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also if like to add it smells rich and sometimes has trouble starting up again when hot. Not anything crazy but takes a few cranks and a twist of the throttle. But not all the time.thanks

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Maybe turn the idle mixture screws in 1/4 turn. That should help with the hot starts. What were the sizes of the main jets that are in there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stock jets were in there originally 155 for cyl 1,4 and 157.5 for cyl 2,3. I did the swap and put the new pilot jets, springs and main jets in. The main jets are now 160 in cyl 1,4 and 162.5 in cyl 2,3. Bike runs great. Pulls hard and smoother all around. Not sure if it's the best it could be but it feels way better right off the bat. I still get a slight throaty stumble at 8 to 10k in first but it's barely noticeable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts