Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
186.5 kms using 15.86 litres -- or 27.6mpg (US gallons).

This seems low to me... in the summer I was getting closer to 32-35mpg.

It is winter, and has been running poorly bc of the carb icing (silkolene pro fst slows this down, but only really keeps it from wanting to die completely). Would this cause a big increase in fuel consumption? Will it get better as the weather warms?

I had a big service done not long ago, and had two exhaust valves replaced (along with all the fluids and plugs etc etc). The mechanic was very good, and the bike runs a million times better after -- smoother, more power, like when I first got it. Could the bike's current setup cause a big increase in fuel consumption?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this isn't a 9r, but on my z1000, i would get 38-41 when it was 100% highway, and could get as low as 27 when it was mixed, and i was riding harder

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool -- this is all city commuting, so that'll factor too.

I really need to save the zx9r for long spins, not for going to work on!

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I go on a canyon run, I usually get around 42-44mpg. In the city, I get about 39.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i dont know if it helps, i have a 06 zx 10r, i get about 35mpgs. I am in the break in period now, i think my mileage is low.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
300km if I cruise

av 220-250 km

180 or less when I give it shit

oh and thats with 18L

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
300kms, avg 220-250km?!?! I must always be hammering it so (and now that I think about it, I usually do...); I got 265kms once when I forgot to switch it off "reserve", but av. around the 200-210km mark is when hit the reserve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i dont know if it helps, i have a 06 zx 10r, i get about 35mpgs. I am in the break in period now, i think my mileage is low.
you're right...your mpg on the 10R is what every 10R I know gets. I think that is what turned me to getting a 9R. 115 miles per tank on the 10R VS. 165mile per tank on the 9R:smile

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i cant complain, 35 mpgs is good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my 02 i can get right at 200 miles per tank but it is going 70mph on the hiway for about 25-30 minutes then driving in town

·
Registered
15 Posts
I average 280kms before I fill up... never been on reserve....

I actually wonder if my tank HAS reserve!
I went 303kms after a hard riding day, and ran out of gas. Switched to reserve for the first time ever, and ran about 100m before dying out completely.
I had to walk and get fuel :( it would NOT restart.

And before anyone says "you didnt try hard enuf to get the air out of the lines", I have had the tank off this bike and drained the carbs plenty of times to know how long it should take to restart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had my 9er for about a month now, and so far, my tank usually goes around 260-280km before I hit reserve. That's a mixed city/highway run.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
w/new chain&sprockets, and fitting an automatic chain oiler, I'm getting @42mpg (mostly motorway, on a recent run to Limerick). Amazing how much effect a knackered chain&sprockets hurts your fuel mileage!

·
Registered
432 Posts
My 99' delivers a very consistent 43-45mpg at 85mph [corrected]. That's running a 190/50 rear on a 6" wheel and a 2 less tooth rear sprocket. City milage is almost exactly the same..but , not being fond of drawing unneeded attention, I short shift into 6th at 35-40 mph, which certaily helps increase mileage.

Secondary road work drops me into the mid to upper 30's though..still not bad considering the pace the bike produces.

·
Registered
20 Posts
82 Miles to a tank before switching to reserve. This is with Wiseco 936 pistons and Web cams along with several other mods. It is also geared for drag racing(-1 front +5 back).

CORRECTION. I rode to the Lone Star Rally in Galveston this weekend and actually got about 93 miles to a tank. Feels like a real gas saver now!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts