Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have only owned my 92 zx11 for about a month now and i was just wondering what kind of mileage i should get on a tank of gas. I am running premiume fuel in it and I am only getting about 180 kilometers to a tank which seams really low. I am not a speed demon so I am not running my bike in high rpms usually around the 5-6000 rpm range. It was in the shop to get the tank coated because it had rust inside and the carbs were cleaned to remove any rust particles, would the bike being run prior to me buying with the rust in the tank enlarge the jets to the point where it is running to rich. The manual says I should get about 260 kilometers to a tank is that about right. The bike is completly stock as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I remember right 100km is about 63 miles. That said, my '97 (bone stock) has gotten up to 49 mpg and as low as about 36 if I'm running hard. I go on reserve around 210-220 miles on average. I can't imagine your jets being oversized from a little rust going through them. Maybe someone previously went through the carbs (rejetted?) and screwed them up. Or float(s) may be way out of whack. I think it's safe to say it's time to go through the carbs and see what's ailing them. I don't have too many answers for you but I can tell you that's the kind of mileage I'm getting. With a 6.4 gallon tank (I think it's about 1 1/2 gal. reserve) you should be able to get between 200-240 miles before reserve, that's about what I get. I think that's around 315-380km if my math is close. Come to think of it though, you have a C model and mine's a D, you may have a slightly different capacity...but I doubt much.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Has the bike been serviced as per Kawasaki service schedule?

First thing I would check is that the air filter is clean & in good condition if this has not been dealt with already :squint

260km range sounds about right

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
flymyway, yes D's tank is slightly larger then C's but not by much (21L vs 24L).

b00fa, how many liters do you have to pour in your fuel tank after getting about 180 km? Telling just the ridden distance is only half of the story.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put in about 16 litres

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
With 16 liters of fuel, I can ride about 240 km. So I would say yours have a problem or something badly adjusted. Hard to know over the net though... It must be related to fuel delivery or airbox system. Maybe something is choking the airbox somewhere? (lost rag?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts