Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my 06 zx10r sitting in the garage for these cold months and i turned it on the other day and the fuel light indicating i need fuel is on i left the bike running for about 30mins. but the light wont turn off ive got a full tank so i just dont understand any help would be very hepful thanks in advance

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did some quick research on this using the kawasaki online parts page and a factory manual for an '06 ZX-6r, I believe it to be very similar to the ZX-10r system. If someone can point me to an online ZX-10r service manual I can double check it.

The fuel reserve switch is mounted to the fuel pump assembly. It does not appear to be the old style float switch but some kind of solid state resistive sensor. The manual test for the switch is fill up the tank with gas, if the light is still on replace the fuel pump assy. :(

On the other end, the instrument cluster test for the low fuel indicator says hook up a variable resistor and slowly reduce the resistance, the light should come on at 22 ohms.

It sounds to me like it is a sensor that changes its resistance when it gets wet with gas. The manual did say that it could take 'a long time' for the sensor to read correctly if the fuel pump has been out of the bike. I read that to mean if the sensor dries out.

Did the bike sit for a long time with a low level of fuel in the tank?

I've also read online that several 10 owners noticed the fuel light came on really soon when the bike was new but changed over time. Is this because they sensors 'dryed out' while sitting on the show room floor?

If it was me I would go through a couple tanks of gas and see if it goes away by itself. Of course if you run it down to reserve make sure you fill it up before you park it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts