Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Why?
The only thing you'd really gain is better driveability if its below 50F out.
You won't gain any performance from the conversion and it won't be easy or cheap.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's a whole lotta work to convert anything from carbs to FI. I wouldn't do it....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fi

I also wanted to know how much it will cost? not how big of a job it is, im aware of that. When you have a zx9r with less than 3000 mi. its worth it for some owners. Does anyone have any info on this conversion?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
$$$

Yes, there are several threads in the 7R section. By costly, we mean cost prohibitive. EFI requires a pressurized fuel system and all the supporting computerized equipment to run it, not just a swap of the throttle bodies. I think the cost is in the minimum neighborhood of $1,500 and would probably run about $3,000 to make it fully functional, not including dyno tuning to get the AFR correct for a bike it's not designed for.

For your money, you'll get a bike that starts without using the throttle and maybe some top end, but nothing close to what you'd get if you had just spend that money buying an EFI equipped bike in the first place.

I know. I'm a downer. :thefinger

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I really fail to see a high benefit from it... Unless you got eather the parts or the bike for free you could never recoupe you investment leaveing you upside down in the bike. Or unless your shoe horning a ZX10 set up into a ZX9 frame , it would more or less just be the cool factor. Im still learning about these bikes but on a GSXR your looking anywhere from $1800 to $4000 to do the conversion depending on the year of bike your getting the parts from. It was cheeper for me to put a efi 1000 motor on a 750 than it was to convert my 750 to efi. This is just my .02 , but unless you just want a big project and have cash in hand you just want to burn I myself wouldn't waste the time or money on it. Personally , I wouldn't buy a bike someone had done it to eather.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I'm going off on a tangent, I know...but which would you choose?

Having a bike that people think has EFI/PowerCommander, but has carbs
Having a bike with EFI/PC, but for whatever reason can't outrun bikes with carbs

·
Registered
60 Posts
Might be adding my 2 cents a little late to this convo but I had a pristine 02 zx9r great bike loads of balls and fun 2 ride. Now I have a 2010 zx10r the point is I understand your love for the bike you have I loved my 9 to and at times wish I didn't sell her.

Now to the point- after upgrading to a ten there is no way in HELL I would spend the kind of money you are taking about on a 9 upgrade to EFI. Not only is it not going to create a massive gain anywhere it just doesn't handle like a newer bike, so why EFI?

If I still had my nine and wanted to throw some money at her I would spend it on suspension upgrades, lighter wheels, Better brakes, Full exhaust, Gearing (maybe), and a steering damper. If you did that with the money it would cost for efi I assure you that you would be much happier.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i'm going off on a tangent, i know...but which would you choose?

having a bike that people think has efi/powercommander, but has carbs
having a bike with efi/pc, but for whatever reason can't outrun bikes with carbs
+1

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
^ Cool find. I'm looking into it. Not for me, mind you, but because I like to read and keep up on stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
^ Cool find. I'm looking into it. Not for me, mind you, but because I like to read and keep up on stuff.
It is great stuff. That's how I got my 1969 vw bug running with a 1999 subaru wrx engine ;)
It not megasquirt any more......but I am thinking about switching it back...the boost control, sequential injection..........the possibilities are endless!

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
The hardest part is finding throttle bodies that will fit. The rest is easy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks to all that posted, I was curious if anyone had experience of any kind with the FI conversion. I def agree with the posts and will keep my zx9 while eventually buying a newer FI bike in the future.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts