Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys does any of you know what type of tool it is to get off the front wheel on 96 zx11...and if so what size and where to get it?> thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you talking about the large female hex on the axle? I jerry-rigged a tool on the spot with a large nut (SAE of all things, it may have been a 5/8", 15/16" wrench size, can't remember off hand, sorry). I sandwiched it on either a 3/8" or 1/2" bolt and nut and torqued it all together tight...too lazy to hook up the welder...and just use a wrench. It now stays in my toolbox as my special axle nut tool. I suppose in a pinch you could find a similar bolt, use the head as the insert and clamp some vice grips in the threads to leverage it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
They use metric sized hexagon socket head for the clamp bolts in the forklegs & also the nuts on the axle. Check the size across the flats, clamps will be about 6mm & axle nuts 10 or 12mm.

You need a set of socket headed bolt keys like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A335581&ts=62527&id=18765
They usually go up to 10mm & come as a set like this.

For larger sizes a good motor accessory shop should sell hex sockets like these separately:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A335580&ts=62307&id=13154

HTH

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If you have a "normal" spark plug socket tool (with a ¾" hexagon drive at its top), I read that you can use it backward to remove the front wheel. I mean insert your ratchet extension from the inside on the socket and insert the ¾" drive into the wheel retaining bolt. Let us know if it works; I never tried it as mine is a C model and this is supposed to work only on D model...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for info...Claude I tryed that plug socket..it goes in ok but you cant get the extension in thru the other way because my socket goes from round to the 3/8" size if you know what i mean..Gonna give it a go with flymyways idea with the bolts and stuff if I can find em around here if i cant just gonna go buy the right tools..lol

Appreciate it

·
Registered
683 Posts
I found a set of hex head/ allen head type sockets at AutoZone. They were sold as tools for metric trannys in Euro trash cars. It came in a 3 pack and one of them was the right size for my '90 ZX11 front axle. I don't remember the cost but it was cheap enough. Might check that out.
T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts