Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, my front master on my 06 636 started failing. It got the the point where I could squeeze the lever to the grip. Terrible. I thought it was just time for a regular bleed and I'd be good. I got it bled and it was fine for a bit but then it let down again in a week or two. So I took it the the mechanic, he bled it as well, same thing. It was good for about a week and then it went down. I figured I'd rebuild it but I found a used front master on ebay for a very good price so I decided I'd just by that. I did, installed it, and bled it. Same thing, good for about a week, then it let down. What are the chances, I thought.

So I took it to my mechanic again, he had it for a little while and he thinks it jsut needs a rebuild kit. He said this because first, there is no fluid leaking from anywhere in the system. The hoses all look ok, and everytime the system is bled, it goes back to normal. So we went ahead and got a rebuild kit. Got that in and you guess it, week and then goes to shit.

Anyways, my point is, my mechanic advises I retrofit some other cylinder, as the cylinders put on those kawi's are notoriously bad(true?). He says he swears by the cyclinders on the 09 and up R6, and the 07 and on Gixxers.

At this point Im just paranoid, I feel like if I get a cylinder from somewhere else, it wont fix it and it'll end up being some other problem like the hoses or the calipers or something. On the other hand, if I end up getting the whole system from an identical z6r(master and calipers), it might work, but it might fail jsut like before and and it will be tons more expensive. What do you guys make of it?

·
Registered
352 Posts
From what I know, the older zx6 front masters are notorious for having a bypass that makes them have the same symptoms that you're having. If you can, I would definitely go with an 07+ zx6 master, or maybe a newer r6 as they are factory equipped with a brembo (16x16 or something like that, but not a 19x18). That should take care of your issue. But if you're concerned, again go with an 07+ set of zx6 calipers. That would definitely fix ya.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I know, the older zx6 front masters are notorious for having a bypass that makes them have the same symptoms that you're having. If you can, I would definitely go with an 07+ zx6 master, or maybe a newer r6 as they are factory equipped with a brembo (16x16 or something like that, but not a 19x18). That should take care of your issue. But if you're concerned, again go with an 07+ set of zx6 calipers. That would definitely fix ya.
Actually, he tells me the 07's are bad too. He showed me another zx6 at the shop, an 07 or 08 and he had me feel the brake, same stuff....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Then there's something else going on with that 07, because not only was it's brakes applauded in every review possible, but I had one and put a ton of miles on it with 0 issues. Hell, it stopped as well as my 09 zx10 does without question.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then there's something else going on with that 07, because not only was it's brakes applauded in every review possible, but I had one and put a ton of miles on it with 0 issues. Hell, it stopped as well as my 09 zx10 does without question.
So the 07 08 front masters will fit the 06's?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Check to make sure your brake reservoir is sealing. Brake fluid is extremely hydroscopic. That fluid could be sucking the water in from outside which causes it to lose its effectiveness. And replacing the fluid gets rid of the bad fluid and returns your brakes to normal until it absorbs water again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts