Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need input from you guys... I really like the stock front and rear suspension setting. The way it glides thru when cornering and high speed blasting is superb. It's just that..... everytime when going on 'medium road humps' and 'medium potholes', the front forks tends to bottom out to the max. Hence the noticeable 'thud' sounds.

My question is how and where to adjust the fork setting to minimise that effect without affecting the ride quality/handling? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bottoming out

I had to replace the springs in the front and back. The issue is that the bike is set up for a 160 lb. rider. This is not me. Given the braking that one can do with the front calipers....the spring rate is important.

Look at one of the sites with a rate calculator on it. Traxxion or Racetech both have them in their site and zx14 is listed.

You can also just pull the spring and put some spacers into them if you want to get some more preload....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to replace the springs in the front and back. The issue is that the bike is set up for a 160 lb. rider. This is not me. Given the braking that one can do with the front calipers....the spring rate is important.

Look at one of the sites with a rate calculator on it. Traxxion or Racetech both have them in their site and zx14 is listed.

You can also just pull the spring and put some spacers into them if you want to get some more preload....

After a long wait, at last somebody dared to answer my long awaited question. Thanks for replying... :clap A few of my friends told me to put some spacers in it, but were unsure as to how many/thick to put in. Mostly trial and error stuff. Didn't like the sound of dismantling the bugger repeatedly just to get it right. :banghead Your recommanded suggestion was what i was looking for. Just calculate, buy and install. Do first things right the first time always...:rofl Already ordered mine immediately after reading this thread. I'll update you on the progress.

Again, thanks for the info given. Really appreciate it...:clap

·
Registered
59 Posts
I weigh 220 lbs...with my settings as they came from the factory I never felt the front forks bottom out...
Once I messed with my setting and made the beast less stiff in the front, then from time to time I can get it to bottom out. These times would be when I drive up onto a driveway where the curb is not smooth, but blocked. I sure in the hell hope I never have to change my springs due to the weight of my fat azz 220 frame...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I weigh 220 lbs...with my settings as they came from the factory I never felt the front forks bottom out...
Once I messed with my setting and made the beast less stiff in the front, then from time to time I can get it to bottom out. These times would be when I drive up onto a driveway where the curb is not smooth, but blocked. I sure in the hell hope I never have to change my springs due to the weight of my fat azz 220 frame...
or maybe i'm too thin perhaps. At 5'10" weighting 45kg. Gotta pun on some weight. Hhhmmmm 45kg (rider) = 256kg (bike). Not good combination...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my replacement springs from racetech and immediately went to my dealer to change it. After a few rounds, now my bike glides on even on bumpy road with ease. I didn't realise that spring rate for individual rider are important. Thought that one spring fits all. Guess i was wrong...

Again thanks heavenlyride for your info. I was well worth every cents. TQ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts