Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I being thick or does one have to remove the front tire to remove the fender?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes,I believe you have to remove the tire.It's a poor design and very annoying.Last year I put a zzr 1200 fender on my 11,now the fender can be removed seperately.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i don't think you have to remove the tire, however take the bolts off the fender should be 4 i think and lift it up toward the upper fairing and then it should come threw the forks. they are wider at the top. good luck

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the four side bolts off, but there there seems to be 2 other bolts in on the top above the tire that I can't get to without removing the tire.

Really poor design is right.

I don't have a triple tree stand. You guys think it's ok to suspend it with a scissors jack on the oil pan for a few mins?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes,I believe you have to remove the tire.It's a poor design and very annoying.Last year I put a zzr 1200 fender on my 11,now the fender can be removed seperately.
Hey martyzx11,
What year zzr1200 fender did you use and what's involved
with installing it....any mods needed ???
Thanks.
Gav

·
Registered
363 Posts
In my Zx11 there is no need to remove the wheel, but to put it back again, oh man, it's truly a nightmare, by far the worst part I've reassembled, and I've removed ALL the fairing, airbox, carburetors, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
if it is anything like my 7, I had to shove a slim wrench in there to undo them from the inside.

It was a pain in the ass, but there was four bolts and then it lifted off.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep super slim wrench did the trick to get the side ones out and I'm able to slide it up and down on the forks about 1/2 inch.

The part where the front/back meet wiggles, but won't come apart. Checked the fiche and there's a screw in the middle, just above the wheel.

Definitely a case for dragging the designer into the street and :whip

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I had to take mine off in one piece before I could pull it apart.

Idk if thats possible on yours though.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
zx7 fenders are one piece and are stupid easy to remove.... and u can keep the tire on
Nope.

Maybe yours is.

P models arent. There are two bolts on each side that can only be accessed from inside. You need to slowboat it with a thin wrench, or take the tire off.

·
Registered
556 Posts
thegavel,I made two brackets out or 1/8" steel,custom shaped to the fender.The brackets bolt to the existing holes in the forks, and the fender, bolts to the bracket.I thought I had some close up pics of the brackets but can't seem to find them.If your interested,I'll take some pics and give you more details.I believe the fender is from a 2005 zzr1200,but I think all years are all the same.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i put a o6 zx9 fender had to drill one hole and slot another so i could get it up and back and trim the fork protectors down because the seal area on the zx forks is larger in diameter than the rest of the leg and couldn't get the fender to rotate enough to get it off the tire

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So the tire came off. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to get to the 2 screws that hold the upper 2 halves of the fender together with the tire on.

Anyone that has been able to do this without removing the tire probably had a previous owner that did not reinstall these 2 screws.

I'm going to see how it works/looks/feels using just the 4 side screws and if it's good, I probably won't reinstall the 2 upper screws.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
...I'm going to see how it works/looks/feels using just the 4 side screws and if it's good, I probably won't reinstall the 2 upper screws.
Personally, I wouldn't do this. The front fender is quite easy to break and cracks often appears. If you miss two screws. more load will go through the remaining mounting points which will raise the odds of more cracks. MHO.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put the fender back on temporarily with only the 4 side bolts and it's certainly no as stable as with the 2 top bolts.

So when it goes back on permanently it'll get all 6 bolts.

Think I might as well replace the brake pads since the calipers are off too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts