Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my new trex stands and lifted my bike on them. I was just playing around looking how much easier my wheels will be to clean because i can spin them.

Then I noticed my front wheel doesnt like to move very easily. Come to find out the pad is clearly rubbing against the rotor without the brake level being depressed. Is there an adjustment for this, i doubt it is normal, or is it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
they will rub.........

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they will rub.........
awsome because if i had another problem I was gonna get really pissed. I swear driving home today the ticking was getting louder. Im probably gonna take it to the dealer tomorrow but wont have it back until next thursday or friday providing there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My brakes rub too. When i move the bike around when its not running you can hear the pads rubbing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The interesting thing about disc brakes is that they don't have a return spring or other mechanism. There are two things that'll cause the pistons to retract into the caliper after the brake lever has been released.

1) There are seals around the pistons that deform when the pistons are forced out by the brake fluid. The seals returning to normal shape will pull the pistons back somewhat.
2) The friction from the pads rubbing against the disc will force the pads back out. This is the dominant return mechanism. So it's basically a given that the pads will rub against the discs somewhat.

The only reason to worry would be if they were prevent free rotation of the wheel, or if they were causing the disc itself to get hot. In which case you risk warping a disc. Haha that rhymes.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is that there should be some resistance to your turning the wheel whilst on the stand, but not a lot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only reason to worry would be if they were prevent free rotation of the wheel
if i spin the wheel, it will maybe make 1 full rotation. Would it make a difference if the bike was running?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Why would it make a difference if the bike was running?

Depends how hard you spin it. Tell you what, if you're worried about it, go for a 10 minute ride, and try to avoid using the front brakes. If you get back and the discs are hot to the touch then you've got a problem. Otherwise you're fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would it make a difference if the bike was running?

Depends how hard you spin it. Tell you what, if you're worried about it, go for a 10 minute ride, and try to avoid using the front brakes. If you get back and the discs are hot to the touch then you've got a problem. Otherwise you're fine.
i guess it wouldnt, the brake system is entirely separate system. And its not like its needs electrical power to work. As for how hard i spin it, basically if i spin it as hard as i can it will not make a full rotation.

either way im doing to my dealer tomorrow to drop it off in reference to the ticking problem and i can ask them and have them look at while it is there

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes the rubbing is normal.

If you ever run full race pads you can hear even them at times when riding.

You can always go to a true full floating setup but then they even makes noise annoying rotor noise but they perform great for track day/race.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i guess it wouldnt, the brake system is entirely separate system. And its not like its needs electrical power to work. As for how hard i spin it, basically if i spin it as hard as i can it will not make a full rotation.

either way im doing to my dealer tomorrow to drop it off in reference to the ticking problem and i can ask them and have them look at while it is there
The chances of a seized piston on a new bike are so low as to be negligible. I really wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Man in my opinion, if you spin it as hard as you can, the wheel must turn. If you hear a rubbing thats great but on mine i lift it and the wheel will rotate a good 5 or 6 times and that is with new pads on to :crazyloco .

The pads will always touch a bit but must never slow the wheel down to that extent as it will over heat your brakes and fluid when you ride and when you use the brakes hard, you will start to find mass amounts of fade :banghead . Get that checked i think.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man in my opinion, if you spin it as hard as you can, the wheel must turn. If you hear a rubbing thats great but on mine i lift it and the wheel will rotate a good 5 or 6 times and that is with new pads on to :crazyloco .

The pads will always touch a bit but must never slow the wheel down to that extent as it will over heat your brakes and fluid when you ride and when you use the brakes hard, you will start to find mass amounts of fade :banghead . Get that checked i think.
yea that sounds normal and my bike certainly doesnt do that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts