Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 98 Zx9r and the front brakes are disconcerting in how far the lever travels before finding good power. Pads and fluid have been changed, and I also hear it’s a common complaint. The bike shop suggests a newer slave cylinder off a zx10 for example is the fix.
If anyone has done this or has any suggestions, please let me know
Thanks people
Ash

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
You will read of all kinds of upgrades to fix brake problems and I’m not here to tell you not to.
In my experience (ZX7R- same brakes), these brake require regular maintenance to keep them working to their potential. I change my fluid every two years, caliper seals every 4-5 and rebuild the master every 4-5. If you neglect servicing these calipers, you end up with corroded pistons and then it gets pricey. To rebuild the master takes about 1 hour and less than $50 in parts so very worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will read of all kinds of upgrades to fix brake problems and I’m not here to tell you not to.
In my experience (ZX7R- same brakes), these brake require regular maintenance to keep them working to their potential. I change my fluid every two years, caliper seals every 4-5 and rebuild the master every 4-5. If you neglect servicing these calipers, you end up with corroded pistons and then it gets pricey. To rebuild the master takes about 1 hour and less than $50 in parts so very worth it.
Thanks Ninjanut :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also did new lines ,ebc pads and had to buy new ebc rotors because they where warped. 15 thousand out of round. The bike stops almost as good as my ducati 1299

1 - 6 of 6 Posts