Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So, the short story, my front brakes locked up on me two days ago, I wrecked and got a mild concussion and a broken collar bone (wearing full gear saved me). Anyways, a week ago I had to have the front master cylinder replaced because the previous one was failing to hold pressure. I ride a 2006 ZX6R with 17,000 miles on it. So, a week after a Kawasaki dealership replaces my front master cylinder, the front brakes lock up and I go down.

The bike is back at the shop and they have determined that the pin in the brake lever that depresses the small hole in the MC got moved out of alignment and ultimately locked up the lever. These are the shortly levers from China that I have seen to be quite popular around the forum. They were installed last July and have never given me any problems.

I guess I have two questions:
1. Has anybody else experienced this same problem with their levers?
2. Is there any reason to believe that the work that went into replacing the master cylinder would have been the cause that the pin was moved out of alignment, resulting in my crash?

Fortunately, the damage to my bike was just the frame and spool sliders and the clutch cover was scraped. Otherwise everything is was untouched!

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Check out this thread.

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-14-forum/52035-24-pazzo-lever-ebay.html

WORDS OF CAUTION
All those with pre 2011 levers need to check for the brass insert and make sure the pin for the hydraulic clutch and brake lever has some free play.
Since the hole in the brass insert isn't drilled deep enough, the clutch will slip or the brakes will lock up. I never had problems with the brakes since I never got them hot enough to notice anything wrong.

This is the thread over at kawiforums where we've been discussing it.
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-650r-er6/192025-new-shiny-levers.html

This is the thread where a bike had the front brakes lock up on the newer levers where the pin angle was wrong.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298233&page=3

I drilled out both of my brake levers today to get just about .001" of free play. It was pushing in on the brake pin. it only takes about drilling an extra .010" into the brass insert.
I've heard that 2011 levers and newer no longer have the brass insert.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Your MC not holding pressure was preventing the front brakes form locking up from the levers.

When they fixed you MC, it now has no internal leaking and those cheap Chinese levers fucked you hard.

I am glad you are ok and I am sorry your bike is banged up. I know the feeling.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your MC not holding pressure was preventing the front brakes form locking up from the levers.

When they fixed you MC, it now has no internal leaking and those cheap Chinese levers fucked you hard.

I am glad you are ok and I am sorry your bike is banged up. I know the feeling.
Thanks for the well wishes. I understand why they failed, except that I have been riding with them without any problems since last July! The MC just started to fail on me two weeks ago, so I don't know why I didn't get a lock up sooner than just two day ago and only 2 rides after picking up my bike from getting the new front MC, unless the shop did not properly reinstall the front brake lever in the process.

Things are getting all straightened out though and it definitely could have been worse. Insurance should cover me and the bike so as far as things go, I think I got away pretty lucky this time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
guys on the Z-1000 forum have had similar problems with those levers
BEWARE OF THE CHINESE LEVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
I have been there done that with the collar bone. Let it heal all the way or it will shatter and then its Titanium to fix it. That's what happened to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts