Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new guy here with a 95 ZX9R i just bought Saturday. The bike is mostly stock save for Muzzy exhaust/rejetted and has 15k miles.

The front brakes are notchy as hell. It feels as though i have a caliper sticking. When i pull the lever, i get hardly no response then WHAM the brakes come on hard. You can feel this notchiness through the brake lever with the bike parked. The pads are newish, the lever itself is not hanging up, and i plan to do a full fluid purge and bleed this afternoon when i get a chance, but i have a feeling i may have something wrong with either a caliper(s) or the master cylinder.

My question is how do i troubleshoot something like this without throwing parts at it? Is there a known issue with this model's front brakes? Also, if it is a caliper can i rebuild those myself like typical car calipers? Sorry for the newbish type questions... ive got alot of riding experience but never did much with bike brakes other than bleeding and a pad slap.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My bet is that you have a sticky caliper... i had the same prob with my previous ZX-9R E1. Brake dust penetrated the seal and wham... the abovementioned prob occur. If you're a DIY person, make sure you get yourself fresh oil & dust seal.

While you're at it, check the master cylinder piston seals also, maybe it's worn or something. Better do it all at once instead multiple times bleading the oil...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I Have A Whole Brake Set If You Want Them,master Cylinder And The Callipers Ill Send You A Pic As Soon As I Get Home If You Want Them 50.00 ? How Many Miles Do You Have On The Bike ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i flushed out the system and the problem is now gone. Wierd, as my previous experience with old/cooked brake fluid has always been mushy brakes. This honestly felt like a caliper sticking.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. :smile

1 - 5 of 5 Posts